What is the difference between . . .

Will.

Question

Hey family, how is everybody doing?

"Question time" and this is making me feel stupid, but first . . . 

Recently I have taking some time of mixing to spend more time with the family. Well, my hand was forced anyhow - by taking full advantage of the pandemic, unless it's a really important client. This led me to start plying around in the MATRIX window, which I don't normally do - and the newly ARRANGER window. 

QUESTION: Aren't they the same thing, with one just being more flexible and advanced ("Arranger") replacing the other one? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

2 answers to this question

Arranger is a basically linear system for working with parts of a project. You can use it to arrange the sequence of verses, choruses, bridges, middle-eights. Once you have finished arranging you print.

Matrix is meant for live performance. You initiate columns as and when you feel like it. You go with the flow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Matrix is meant for live performance. You initiate columns as and when you feel like it. You go with the flow.

I hear you. This is where I find the Arranger to be more advanced. I've been close to 4weeks at it hours at a time and found that the "Arranger" for me works best. 

I can easily draw in crossfaders/envelopes, automation, effects and so much more "LIVE" with the arranger than the Matrix and this is what's confusing to me. 😢

For me they're same. I don't know, maybe I need to watch more video's on the Matrix to understand it deeper.

Hope to get a more light on this here too. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo