Can I still get help with SONAR?

scottdart

Hey,  I run old school with Sonar PE 8.5, and I ran into an issue that I can't figure out on my own. I've looked for any support all over the net, but I found no phone numbers or emails that connect me w/ Cakewalk/Sonar. Can anyone here point me to where I can talk w/ support? A phone number or email? My issue is ( in case someone reads this and knows a solution ) I'm trying to export a project w/ 60 + tracks as an OMF so that I can send it to another studio using Protools. I've done this before w/out problems, I know how you prep the track and so on .... never had an issue doing this. When I begin to initiate the export, Sonar runs the progress bar below as it exports the project. It will go a few times over and over on the progress bar and then it will eventually complete ... and this is where I have the problem. Every time I get a error message the says the following: 

" Problem exporting OMF: C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\DTrio omf\Time and time.omf OMFI_ERR: Mob does not exist in this file"

This is all I get and the project fails to export. Like I said, I've never had this issue and suddenly, here it is. If anyone knows what this message means and how to correct, or can get me a way to reach cakewalk support .... Please let me know the studio is waiting for me to send these files ASAP. THANKS.

11 hours ago, scottdart said:

I've looked for any support all over the net, but I found no phone numbers or emails that connect me w/ Cakewalk/Sonar. Can anyone here point me to where I can talk w/ support? A phone number or email?

Scott, you are aware that Cakewalk, Inc., the company, went out of business over 2 1/2 years ago, in November of 2017?

This is a forum for discussion of Cakewalk by BandLab, a newer program that's based on the SONAR code as it existed then and has since been revised, amended, and expanded upon. Cakewalk is now licensed under a freeware subscription.

There are users here who used to use SONAR 8.5 who may remember how to help you out.

In the meantime, Cakewalk by BandLab is very many things, but most importantly to you it:

• Costs nothing to use. That's right, completely free. It's like getting SONAR Professional 2020 for free.
  • Will install right next to SONAR on your system without overwriting anything or disturbing anything SONAR-related.
  • Opens old SONAR projects going WAY back, back earlier than the one you're trying to open, if I'm correct.
  • Is supported. You can send support requests about Cakewalk issues to BandLab support techs and they will answer, and there is a lively community here of current users
  • Kicks all kinds of butt. Seriously, way, way better than what you have that came with an audio interface in the early days of the Obama Administration

Given all of the above, it might behoove you to download and install CbB, load your project into it and try the export from there.

Also, I tried the time-honored method of Googling "OMFI_ERR: Mob does not exist in this file" and found a possible answer for you right here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1190244

I thought that Mike V. (Mudgel) was on this forum, but I guess he's off Cubasing or something.

Anyway, it looks like I was on the right track with opening it in the modern version, but it may be that your project is just too big. Is there anything you can do to get the size down below 2G? Cut it into movements or songs? Part A/B?

Yes definitely no reason to be using 8.5 anymore.

Another solution which is how I transfer projects to other DAW's is simply save as a midi file and then export the audio as individual tracks. ( stems in Pro tools speak) I open the project as a midi file in the other daw and then just drag and drop the audio to new tracks. Its a bit more work but works great. You seem to understand the prep protocol for the audio but for others reading this I'll mention that you need to make sure all your audio tracks start at zero and exporting a track will create a wave file that runs from start to end with no parts missing. 

I seem to remember the OMF method being unreliable. 

• Like 1

If the studio needs the files ASAP, no matter what DAW the studio uses just follow John Vere's suggested solution.

Then after that take the time to

1. Download the desktop BandLab Assistant here => https://www.bandlab.com/products/desktop/assistant (this is used to install and update the desktop DAW program)

2. Open the BandLab Assistant and click on the Apps tab and Choose Install from the dropdown list (the down arrow next to the "Open" in the lower right corner of the Cakewalk by BandLab App (the bottom box not the top one).

image.png.a72902d8f4221e438523ee44d60c40a9.png

And now start learning the new UI and features that began and has evolved since SONAR X1. There is a lot of new power in CbB (the accepted way of saying Cakewalk by BandLab) as compared to SONAR PE 8.5. But make no mistake, there will be a learning curve.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1