Look Ahead

Lynn Wilson

I've been writing moody songs lately, and here is my latest.  I'm too close to it to hear anything right now, so I will let it rest and ask all of you for your thoughts.  My main gimmick in this song is that I mapped Superior Drummer 3 to Addictive Drums 2 in order to use my AD2 library of beats.  Way cool.

Thank you for your time and help!  It can be found here:  https://soundclick.com/r/s8doyj

remixed on 7/14/20 (less vocal compression, more drums)

remixed on 7/18/20 (less organ, less mud, more air)

Edited by Lynn
  • Like 5

Love the instrument choices. The vox are maybe(?) a bit too compressed and/or phase-y, unless that's the goal. The drums get a little lost for my taste. The ending caught me off guard. 🙂 

Overall it's a good song.

• Like 1

I really liked that lead guitar on the intro - that was cool. As always - I like your lead vocal.

I think the song is very original and creative - regarding moods - it is a bit dark.

I liked that organ - what was that?

I thought the ending was excellent - nice touch there.

By the way - you used AD2 drum grooves through Superior Drummer - I didn't know you could do that. I don't have Superior - but I have EZDrummer and AD2.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bapu said:

Love the instrument choices. The vox are maybe(?) a bit too compressed and/or phase-y, unless that's the goal. The drums get a little lost for my taste. The ending caught me off guard. 🙂 

Overall it's a good song.

Thanks for you ears, Ed.  Good catch!  I hear it now that you point it out, but I couldn't before because I was too deep in the forest.   I'll be remixing this.

I'll save my "like" for the remix.

I'll agree with Bapu 👍
(Can I say I Am in agreement with Bapu?)
Plenty of good suggestions and seems like you're on it.
Notice I've said nothing about the length? 🙃
There's nothing that could be cut; well done Lynn!

23 hours ago, Lynn said:

was too deep in the forest

Boy howdy, me too same thing, on one right now.
Turn your my pretty head and walk away... 😉

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
spelling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I really liked that lead guitar on the intro - that was cool. As always - I like your lead vocal.

I think the song is very original and creative - regarding moods - it is a bit dark.

I liked that organ - what was that?

I thought the ending was excellent - nice touch there.

By the way - you used AD2 drum grooves through Superior Drummer - I didn't know you could do that. I don't have Superior - but I have EZDrummer and AD2.

Hi Douglas, thanks for your kind words!  The organ is AIR's DB-33 using a setting that allowed me to control the leslie.  Got it for $10 from KVR.  I don't know about EZ Drummer mapping, but I was very happy to discover that SD3 can map to all major drum programs because I have a ton of beats from AD2 that were underused.  I access the mapping through SD3's settings, perhaps the same for EZD?

• Like 1

My listen was on decent headphones, so any mix comments should be taken with a grain of headphones.

I like this song!!! It's like a slow prog, as far as the chord progressions go! Really cool choices, and your vocal mixing is killer, those bgv's are quite distinct from the main and very tastefully mixed in at lower volume. Nice on that! And the lyrics aren't too shabby, either!

Mix wise, not bad but I think the vocals are covered up a little. Bass down .5 db across the song? and anytime there is a vocal, taking the left panned guitar noodle down .5db, and the organ down maybe a full db?       anything else that's in the center with the vocal, I'd take volume automation quite seriously and drop it out at least .5 when you are singing.

You may have already done some of that, it's all an infinite amount of monkeys with a nearly infinite amount of plugins.

cool tune!!!

cheers,

-Tom

• Great Idea 1

Wow I really like this song! I think the mix is excellent and my comments are purely based on personal preference rather than what is wrong or right.  To my ears the bass tone is really nice,  only it sits a little too forward in the mix. There is one synth that comes in and out which, to my old ears, sounds very shrilly in the highs and competes with the lead guitar tone. I would probably use reverb to sit it a little farther back or simply use a low pass.  Maybe I would also use some automation or ducking so nothing distracts from the vocals. I love the overall dark tone of your recording and your vocal tone is awesome. I also loved the ending. Fantastic tune!

• Great Idea 1

Hi Lynn
My 1st impression was that the song sounded familiar, like another one of yours from a while ago? Anyway, I really got into the song. Like it a lot. I've mentioned before that my hearing has gone downhill the last couple of years so I don't trust my ears to make meaningful comments. For example I heard some distortion at 1:07 but no one else commented on that so I don't know.
Very nice moody piece Lynn. To me it reflects on how I feel after reading the paper every morning, day after day...

On 7/14/2020 at 4:37 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Liked this  Lynn, especially the guitar - agree  with Bapu that personally i would bring the drums up a little and i thought the vox organ sound was a little too loud

Apart from that good stuff

Nigel

Nigel, thanks for you keen observation.  I have remixed this with your suggestions in place.  It definitely improved the mix, though I'm not sure, yet, if it's where it needs to be.

23 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I'll save my "like" for the remix.

I'll agree with Bapu 👍
(Can I say I Am in agreement with Bapu?)
Plenty of good suggestions and seems like you're on it.
Notice I've said nothing about the length? 🙃
There's nothing that could be cut; well done Lynn!

Boy howdy, me too same thing, on one right now.
Turn your my pretty head and walk away... 😉

t

Thanks, Tom, your words mean a lot to me.  It's now remixed, and hopefully, closer to the finish.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 2:00 PM, emeraldsoul said:

My listen was on decent headphones, so any mix comments should be taken with a grain of headphones.

I like this song!!! It's like a slow prog, as far as the chord progressions go! Really cool choices, and your vocal mixing is killer, those bgv's are quite distinct from the main and very tastefully mixed in at lower volume. Nice on that! And the lyrics aren't too shabby, either!

Mix wise, not bad but I think the vocals are covered up a little. Bass down .5 db across the song? and anytime there is a vocal, taking the left panned guitar noodle down .5db, and the organ down maybe a full db?       anything else that's in the center with the vocal, I'd take volume automation quite seriously and drop it out at least .5 when you are singing.

You may have already done some of that, it's all an infinite amount of monkeys with a nearly infinite amount of plugins.

cool tune!!!

cheers,

-Tom

Tom, thanks for your input!  I remixed this with your suggestions in mind and reposted.  I also made sure that I used my Sennheisers in monitoring this mix.   I'm moving in the right direction, I think.

20 hours ago, Bapu said:

Oh yeah, vocals much better on the re-mix. 👍

Ed, thanks for giving this a second chance!

21 hours ago, tonemangler said:

Wow I really like this song! I think the mix is excellent and my comments are purely based on personal preference rather than what is wrong or right.  To my ears the bass tone is really nice,  only it sits a little too forward in the mix. There is one synth that comes in and out which, to my old ears, sounds very shrilly in the highs and competes with the lead guitar tone. I would probably use reverb to sit it a little farther back or simply use a low pass.  Maybe I would also use some automation or ducking so nothing distracts from the vocals. I love the overall dark tone of your recording and your vocal tone is awesome. I also loved the ending. Fantastic tune!

Thank you for you comments and advice.  I'll pat attention to these issues on my next pass.  Good ears!

16 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Hi Lynn
My 1st impression was that the song sounded familiar, like another one of yours from a while ago? Anyway, I really got into the song. Like it a lot. I've mentioned before that my hearing has gone downhill the last couple of years so I don't trust my ears to make meaningful comments. For example I heard some distortion at 1:07 but no one else commented on that so I don't know.
Very nice moody piece Lynn. To me it reflects on how I feel after reading the paper every morning, day after day...

Hi Bjorn, thanks for having a listen.  I thought it sounded familiar!  I may be recycling old ideas ;)  Yeah, that's how I feel after hearing the news, too.  This is a very sobering time in history.  I got your PM - no problem.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Lynn - Cool song.  Your chords choices are very interesting throughout, a lot of unexpected twists and turns in a good way.   The only suggestion i would have to your current mix is the organ is a bit overpowering in places.   Maybe some slow panning (like Soundtoys Panman) or rotary would add some dimension and take the edge off when it comes in.      Really like the song, guitar intro is fantastic.

Regards

• Great Idea 1

22 hours ago, markno999 said:

Lynn - Cool song.  Your chords choices are very interesting throughout, a lot of unexpected twists and turns in a good way.   The only suggestion i would have to your current mix is the organ is a bit overpowering in places.   Maybe some slow panning (like Soundtoys Panman) or rotary would add some dimension and take the edge off when it comes in.      Really like the song, guitar intro is fantastic.

Regards

Mark, thanks for you keen input.  I agree with you about the organ, and I'll fix that on the next pass.  You've given me some ideas to work with!

1 hour ago, Wookiee said:

I like it @Lynn thanks for sharing.

Wookie, I thought of you when I inserted the ending.  Thanks for the inspiration!

On 7/16/2020 at 11:29 AM, markno999 said:

Regards

OK, I adjusted the organ, and mixed it for less mud and more air (slightly).  I like it better.  Thanks again, Mark.

2 hours ago, Lynn said:

OK, I adjusted the organ, and mixed it for less mud and more air (slightly).  I like it better.  Thanks again, Mark.

Yes, that's really good, it really took the edge off the organ and blends much better with the rest of the track.  

Vocals seems to be much clearer as well.    Very cool track.

Regards

• Thanks 1