Fastest way of importing and normalizing audio for 20 singers?

Hans Tan

The fastest way is probably a compressor... however, compressors tend to colour the sound of the vocal somewhat.

Equally fast is something like Waves VocalRider (or any of the alternatives:  https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=521181   )

Personally, I'd run it through Vocal Rider first then add a small amount of compression afterwards for colour.

5 hours ago, Hans Tan said:

Thanks. Would there be any free alternatives to Vocal Rider?

There are VOLA2 and TriLeveler from SonicAnomaly, both are very good IMHO.

I also have Waves' Vocal Rider and TBProAudio's DynaRide and the 2 above do a pretty good job compared to those payed ones!

You use the word normalize which is a tool used when your not happy with a track being a low level and you want to bring the level up. But all that can do is push the PEAKS to the near limit. It won't actually make all the audio even. All's it take is one popped P in a track and there goes your peak level. 

Myself I would treat each track separately and use the PC76 U in pro channels to adjust the input gain until you see the compressor working. If a track is weak you can certainly normalize it but using gain is none destructive.  I would also EQ each track.  Basically solo each track until it sounds as best as it can.   Then send the 20 tracks to a bus for further processing, reverb etc. 

• Like 1

By default my track templates all have that compressor and the EQ inserted to pre channel. They are turned off.  Then it's a very quick move to solo a track, open pro channel and turn them on and tweak. If you want a quicker fix than that , you should take up a new hobbie :)