Talk (Coldplay Cover)

MGC59

I've been away from music for a while. I was also having so much trouble with my Octa-capture (or so I thought) that it made recording almost impossible. This tune was the last song done with countless crashes. I finally installed a 1TB SSD on the C Drive and almost all my problems went away! It's like I bought a brand new PC, considering that it was purchased 9 years ago from Jim Roseberry and it is still kicking butt!

Anyway, this is my 1st attempt at recording a complete song in a long time. While I'm not a huge Coldplay fan but I came to appreciate the synth sounds that they layer behind their music. They use a lot of sounds on top of one another and effects to create their sonic background. Fat, rich tones that are usually slightly out of tune.

As always, this was recorded in my home studio using Cakewalk by Bandlab and a plethora of virtual instruments. No real instruments were harmed or even touched in the making of this recording.

Enjoy!

Mark

• Like 2

If you asked me to name one Coldplay tune before you posted this, I'd have drawn a blank.

Well sung, and that synth guitar is pretty convincing.

Tiny crit; I'm thinking Coldplay would have a fatter kick in the original?
I know I would have mixed it that way.
Just sayin'

tom

• Like 1

I agree on the drums with you both. I usually use Superior Drummer 3 but it wasn't playing well with Cakewalk and Kontakt. Now that the SSD drives have restored some order I will go back to using it. SD3 has a lot of fat kick drum choices!

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers!

Mark

Chris Martin has such a unique vocal style and range - not at all easy to cover and you did a damn fine job of that vocal. As for the drums, it's already been said, the original mix was definitely fuller and heavier on the choruses to my ears but these are fine details. Doesn't detract from a really good cover - well done. Andy

So @MGC59 how did you convince Chris Martin to sing on this for you 😎.  Not a big fan of them only familiar with their stuff I have heard on the radio when driving.

This does sound very much like their sound, I think I agree with Tom (DeeringAmps) the kit would have a fuller sound, the drummer has a lot of input on the song writing as I understand it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments and tips! Sorry I've been away from the forum for a while.....

Bajan Blue - I pretty much always use Music Lab's Real Guitar for acoustics and 12 Strings, Real Les Paul and very occasionally, Real Strat. I believe I used through S-Gear on this one and there was some layering.

Wookie - I have learned after almost 40+ years of gigging to hone my mimicing skills. It's a lot easier these days not being in smokey clubs any more.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cheers!

Mark