EZ Tune-Up: Delete ALL from picture cache

user390096

After working smoothly for weeks, Sonar was crashing again, as usual, and I didn't know why but I kept getting error 5. One of the suggested remedies for error 5 is to increase both the Playback and Record cache buffer sizes, which I did, and which did nothing to fix the problem at all. Then I searched for the word "cache" in the forum and came across something I had never heard of after 20 years with CW, the "Picture Cache".  Folks were saying this folder can cause all sorts of playback crashes and that the files in it did not even need to be saved as they are generated every-time you load a project. So I went into the Picture Cache folder, gulped and deleted over 30,000 TR2 and WOV files (which I had never heard of), and now CW runs smoother than ever.

I also found out that dragging mp3's into the track view can cause problems and is something I do on a regular basis. I knew CW automatically converted the mp3's into wav files but wasn't aware this could make things run poorly. Oh well, it's worked for me so I guess maybe I'm just lucky in that regard.

Anyway, for those who have mysterious crashes, try deleting all of your files in the Picture Cache which can be found at C:\Cakewalk Projects\Picture Cache.

I wish there was a list of little known remedies one could run on a regular basis to keep things running smoothly. And thanx to the forum members who figure these things out.👍

Yes, deleting the picture cache is pretty harmless as they will get regenerated when you next load your project.

However it doesn't regenerate them every time, it'll only regenerate them if the audio has changed or the the picture isn't there in the cache to begin with... otherwise it'll use the existing pictures in the cache.

It's probably worth clearing out the cache from time to time, but too often will increase the time it takes for the project to load if it's having to regenerate them all the time. Especially projects with lots of audio clips.

• Thanks 1

Scott Garrigus posted an article several years ago at DigiFreq that explained how to make a .bat file that can delete .wov files in the picture cache either automatically or manually. I used to use it years ago but haven't thought about it in a long time. I just created another one and used it to delete the files in my picture cache. Here is the URL for that page if anyone is interested.

http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/tip.asp?ID=13

No it's not that one! It's one that states something to the effect that your HD is struggling with input and output and the suggested remedies are to de-fragment your HD or change the buffer size on your I/O playback/recording.  My HD is a new blazing fast Samsung 870 EVO M.2 SSD and I've read you should never de-fragment any SSD,  and the I/O increases I tried did nothing.

Actually, I'm getting the crashes again so I suspect it may be a plug-in doing the damage. I just created a very simple project with 1 audio and 1 midi track and no plug-ins and it works smoothly, like it should. Next I opened a recent project that was crashing a lot and giving me that error "5" and all of a sudden it is working smoothly again.

I have no idea what's going on but at least it's working again. Maybe I need to run a simple project to get the gears working smoothly before I open up my more complex projects. I think I'm one of the few who uses a Universal Audio Apollo Twin Quad with a super-fast Thunderbolt 3 connection.  I spent the money thinking I would never have any crashes again but  somethings always cropping up to put a damper on the fun.  Oh well, hopefully it keeps working and I thought getting rid of those WOV and TR2 files was the cure, and it was, for a little while....🥴

• 2 years later...
On 7/13/2020 at 1:12 AM, msmcleod said:

Yes, deleting the picture cache is pretty harmless as they will get regenerated when you next load your project.

However it doesn't regenerate them every time, it'll only regenerate them if the audio has changed or the the picture isn't there in the cache to begin with... otherwise it'll use the existing pictures in the cache.

It's probably worth clearing out the cache from time to time, but too often will increase the time it takes for the project to load if it's having to regenerate them all the time. Especially projects with lots of audio clips.

Hi Mark/all - apologies for reviving an old thread!

You mentioend that the files in the picture cache will only regenerate if the audio has changed or no file exists - it appears to me that the wov files are updating even if I no changes are being made to the project/audio; is this expected or perhaps evidence of a bug?

I noticed this as I was investigating slow project load (which I think may have been caused by the Windows corrupted zip bug) but figured i'd ask about this anyway!

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher