Slip Editing - Bug ? ...Or Expected Behviour ?

Mark Morgon-Shaw

When slip editing midi clips I've come to notice something now that I use more phrase based Kontakt Libraries

Phrase Libraries are often played with very long midi notes that can stretch for many bars  but what often happens is during editing , if the original midi note overhangs the end of the slip edited clip the phrase library will continue playing regardless. 

I don't know how it works in other DAWs but I would expect it to stop whether I'd shortened the note within the PRV or edited the clip in the track view.

I expect that it's not receiving a midi note off message as the end of it is now in some unknown nether world and never gets triggered.  It is a PITA though when using these Libraries and concocting endings of of parts you've pasted from other section etc.

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 1

The note off's are definitely being sent, however I find a lot of these Kontakt libraries continue to play the phrase long after the note off has been received.

The easiest way to confirm this is to enable the MIDI monitor on Kontakt:

kontakt_slip_edit_midi.gif

The only answer is to slip edit the clip more, or see if there's a setting in the Kontakt instrument that controls how quickly it reacts to the note off.  

For example in Electric Sunburst, the setting is here:

image.png.d19ff5ea3f9f8a971f6978bcfb66f954.png

Thanks, I understand that Sunburst will continue and finish it's phrase depending on the setting but I'm talking about Libraries that should stop the phrase immediately but don't under the above conditions, they carry on as if the slip edited note were still present until I go into the the PRV and shorten the note length manually. 

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought but do you bounce the clips in question after slipping?  Bouncing permanently terminates the note at the new end of the clip.

Slip editing changes the end of a clip, but if the end is moved to a point before the last note ends (cutting the note short), the note duration is still there somewhere in memory and can be recovered by slip editing again. Is it possible Kontakt is still seeing the end of the original note?