Reducing pops

Mr. Torture

I have a mix going with my ASIO buffers set at the highest they can go. I froze my amp sims and consolidate plugs wherever I can, still getting popping. Anything else I can try? 

I have an RME PCIE soundcard, 32 gigs of RAM.

• Superior drummer 3 ( Set to use all 4 cores of processor)
  • EZ Bass
  • Softube 1959 Marshall (2 instances)
  • Reaxis sim (1 Instance)
  • 8 vocal tracks (2 lead, 6 backups) I run Slate VMR on the buss so I only have to use 1 instance for most.

Various plugs such as saturation, reverb, Microshift.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, Mr. Torture said:

I have a mix going with my ASIO buffers set at the highest they can go. I froze my amp sims and consolidate plugs wherever I can, still getting popping. Anything else I can try? 

I have an RME PCIE soundcard, 32 gigs of RAM.

• Superior drummer 3 ( Set to use all 4 cores of processor)
  • EZ Bass
  • Softube 1959 Marshall (2 instances)
  • Reaxis sim (1 Instance)
  • 8 vocal tracks (2 lead, 6 backups) I run Slate VMR on the buss so I only have to use 1 instance for most.

Various plugs such as saturation, reverb, Microshift.

Thanks.

Have you tried freezing Superior Drummer? It's not small on resources, but basically the simple way to boil things down is to try playing only audio files (try a new project with some stems) and see if that plays cleanly. If it does, then you've probably got some plugins taxing your system in your other project. If just audio is getting a bunch of pops, particularly with the latency set high, then it might be some kind of conflict with the audio card. Sometimes it helps to change the slot the PCI card is in or see if there's anything sharing resources with it that could be throttling performance. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Torture said:

I closed the project and shut the computer down. Next day I worked on the same mix with zero pops or clicks? Weird things computers...

How often do you leave your PC on for?  Rebooting your PC should be a normal part of any DAW user's routine.  If you leave your system on, with project open, for days at a time, it's not surprising there would be issues.

59 minutes ago, JonD said:

How often do you leave your PC on for?  Rebooting your PC should be a normal part of any DAW user's routine.  If you leave your system on, with project open, for days at a time, it's not surprising there would be issues.

I shut it down after every session.

The midi for the drums is within superior drummer, I don't think it allows freezing as there is nothing in the actual track.

You could try drag and dropping the MIDI from the Super Drummer sequence to the track then freezing. The loops work either in CbB itself or within Superior Drummer's internal sequencer, so it's mostly just a convenience thing as to where you want to set that up. You could make a copy of the project to test dumping the MIDI directly into the project.

The midi for the drums is within superior drummer, I don't think it allows freezing as there is nothing in the actual track.

You freeze the track(s) in Sonar/Bandlab, not within Superior Drummer.   See here.

Also, you didn't respond to gswitz's suggestion about latency monitor.  That's an important tool to help troubleshoot in cases like this.

Edited by JonD

1 hour ago, JonD said:

You freeze the track(s) in Sonar/Bandlab, not within Superior Drummer.   See here.

Also, you didn't respond to gswitz's suggestion about latency monitor.  That's an important tool to help troubleshoot in cases like this.

Yup, figured out you can't freeze unless the midi is in the track, I will try that tonight.

I will check out the latency monitor tonight, thanks!

On another note I watched the CPU/Memory monitor that's within Cakewalk and it's reading well under full capacity. Somewhere around 25% usage. Not really sure why it did it that one time, as I said once I rebooted it worked fine?

Edited by Mr. Torture
  • Like 1