Grace VST not making any noise

Rhett

I am using the Grace VST, and even with the sample preview turned on, it isn't making any noise at all. I actually can't even figure out how to hear what I am doing to the selected sample at all either. I also tried the TX16Wx VST and no sound came from that either, leading me to believe that the problem is in Cakewalk. I do get noise from the TTS-1 though, so I really don't know what is going on here. 

Grace and TX16Wx are samplers. You need to load something (a patch/preset) into them to get sound.

Grace comes with nothing. You need to download and run Grace Setup Factory Content. Did you do this? (You need to restart Cakewalk afterwards.) When testing Grace, did you select a patch from the left-hand pane?

I saw it was freeware so downloaded and installed it. It didn't come with any samples so I also downloaded Poise (from the same company) and the free samples for it. I loaded the directory for the Poise .wav files into Grace and they play fine.

Yeah I have loaded samples and files and I do have the factory content, but even the sample preview isn't working and I checked that it was on. I have the sample loaded, but I can't figure out how to make it play the sample while I'm working out the settings on it. I have watched the demos on YouTube, and they show it playing the selected sample, but I don't think it is activated by a key, because I went into the file for the keybinds, and it only had up, down, left, right, and delete, all with functions other than playing the sample.

Screenshot (90).png

1 hour ago, Rhett said:

Yeah I have loaded samples and files and I do have the factory content, but even the sample preview isn't working and I checked that it was on. I have the sample loaded, but I can't figure out how to make it play the sample while I'm working out the settings on it. I have watched the demos on YouTube, and they show it playing the selected sample, but I don't think it is activated by a key, because I went into the file for the keybinds, and it only had up, down, left, right, and delete, all with functions other than playing the sample.

If you inserted Grace with a MIDI track you can use a MIDI controller or the PRV to audition the sounds. One thing I notice is that when I load a sample into Grace it shows the sample's properties in the lower left corner. Your image doesn't show that.

2049299051_GraceSampler1.JPG.a3c0da0a9e171fe69cc73e28d634bb50.JPG

On 7/13/2020 at 1:32 PM, Chappel said:

If you inserted Grace with a MIDI track you can use a MIDI controller or the PRV to audition the sounds. One thing I notice is that when I load a sample into Grace it shows the sample's properties in the lower left corner. Your image doesn't show that.

That's weird. Maybe I have a different version than you? I can try another download version and see if that changes anything.

The way I loaded the sample was to expand the directories at the top left and drag a .wav file into the sample window. In your image your directories are still  minimized. How did you load the sample in yours?

Here is the One Small Clue page for their percussion sampler Poise. I had to download and install Poise before I was able to download their free sample content. After I downloaded the sample content I right-clicked the directory pane and added the directories for the sample content I had downloaded. I had to expand a new directory to see the samples and then I clicked and dragged one into the sample pane on the right.

Also, to see the Grace keyboard click the Sample Map button.

https://www.onesmallclue.com/index.html

5 hours ago, Chappel said:

The way I loaded the sample was to expand the directories at the top left and drag a .wav file into the sample window. In your image your directories are still  minimized. How did you load the sample in yours?

Here is the One Small Clue page for their percussion sampler Poise. I had to download and install Poise before I was able to download their free sample content. After I downloaded the sample content I right-clicked the directory pane and added the directories for the sample content I had downloaded. I had to expand a new directory to see the samples and then I clicked and dragged one into the sample pane on the right.

Also, to see the Grace keyboard click the Sample Map button.

https://www.onesmallclue.com/index.html

I loaded it in by dragging it from my samples on the right under the media tab.

I was able to get the sample to play using the sample map button, but for some reason the samples in the left directories still won't preview.

Thanks for that quick solution to that, it makes Grace usable at the least until I can find the real problem.

12 minutes ago, Rhett said:

I was able to get the sample to play using the sample map button, but for some reason the samples in the left directories still won't preview.

Are you sure those directories are loaded? Could you post a screencap of those directories expanded to show the contents?