Feature Request - Color Trigger Keyswitches Articulation ISs

sadicus

Articulation Map is already requested here below some days before ....

Colors like in FL Studio doesn't work here.

Logics Articulate is not efficient: click, select, click, select, click, select, click, select, again and again - for every setup. Please external Editor in similar CSV Format which can use copy & paste. and files which can exchange with other users!

• Like 1

I already made the request on the forum, and it is the only thing which could make me quit Cakewalk, because the instruments based on keyswitchs are often used.
I think we should move this post (or another on the subject) to the top of the list as often as possible, so that it is visible by the developers and so that they understand that it is an essential option for a Modern DAW.

Cakewalk was a DAW ahead of its time, but since its fall and the takeover by Bandlab, I feel like it's stagnating.
Of course I thank Bandlab for saving my program from disappearance and updating it against bugs and other things.
But my feeling about the options they're adding here and there, while welcome, is that they don't revolutionize the way we work either.

We need new options to work with our new tools (Keyswitch manager, MPE, midi 2.0, NKS compatible, vector interface ... (bring me back Studioware 😢)).
I would be willing to pay to have my DAW really up to date technologically.

Edited by lychee
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 5:59 PM, Roland-Music said:

With external Libraries it works like here: The important think is you can SHARE it with other Users!!!

Yes it's great to be able to share 3rd party keyswitch assignments too. Also the benefit of how all the key switches are not affected by editing the midi part i.e. if adding an arpeggiator or transposing the part.  This is a way neater solution.

3 hours ago, lychee said:

it is the only thing which could make me quit Cakewalk, because the instruments based on keyswitchs are often used.

Yes, it's every track almost for me so it's something I deal with daily

3 hours ago, lychee said:

We need new options to work with our new tools (Keyswitch manager, MPE, midi 2.0, NKS compatible, vector interface ... (bring me back Studioware 😢)).

I agree, it's difficult to complain about something that's a professional tool but is actually FREE . 

But...time moves on, production methods evolve and wrokflows need updating to reflect this. Virtual Instruments  never even existed when I first used Cakewalk. Now they are 80% of the tracks I make.

Maybe with such a small Dev team behind Cakewalk now it's not feasible to expect the DAW to not be playing catch up with the competition.  

On 7/20/2020 at 6:52 AM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I agree, it's difficult to complain about something that's a professional tool but is actually FREE .

I'd happily start paying for cakewalk again for major improvements. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the things they're fixing and adding. It's fantastic! But I'd pay. I bought most of the sonar releases since 1.0.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 9:12 AM, lychee said:

Cakewalk was a DAW ahead of its time, but since its fall and the takeover by Bandlab, I feel like it's stagnating.
Of course I thank Bandlab for saving my program from disappearance and updating it against bugs and other things.
But my feeling about the options they're adding here and there, while welcome, is that they don't revolutionize the way we work either.

They've just added Arranger Track which is rather on the major side, so it's not like Cakewalk is stagnating for me :) and the bugfixes are invaluable.

I realize people would like to see some major additions like for example composition tools. But lets take, say, a chord track - with so many great Scalers and Instachords out there already, they would have to be working really hard on it and the effect still wouldn't be competitive enough probably. If I had to decide, I would prefer to spend this time on updating the audio/MIDI routing in Cakewalk instead, to make it more clean and simple so we could use those 'scalers' and 'instachords' the easy way and focus on the music.

OTOH some tools are difficult to replace with 3rd party plugins so yes, a keyswitch manager would be very welcome. Also new/updated editing tools that can make the work more smooth.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

Yes, everybody is happy that CwbB is free, but the development of free software is not so fast ..... That's another Topic.

Okay, now back to Topic - now a more detailed post what IMHO is a currently the best articulation map for a DAW.

This missing Articulation map feature is the biggest Gap in Cakewalk, every major DAW on the market has something similar, more or less good.

The following Articulation map is Open Source Software, GPL free on GITHUB, with more than 20 User Banks as default for all Big Orchestra Libaries incl. the new Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra and it has this main features:

•         sends Bank - Program Selection LSB / MSB like cakewalks RPNs
  •         Note-based key switches, including non-latching key switches requiring held notes (e.g. for Bohemian Violin)
  •         Individual articulation patches set to different MIDI channels
  •         Articulations requiring multiple output events (e.g. to set legato on/off, sordino, etc.)
  •         Layer selected articulations with other patches on different channels

Output events should be:

•     CC value
  •     note on/off
  •     note held
  •     program changes
  •     channel routing for e.g. multis

So now the cakewalk developers have to say whether it works or not.

Rearticulate on GITHUB - Source code: https://github.com/jtackaberry/reaticulate

Here is video that shows how -Rearticulate-  works:

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 10:24 AM, Roland-Music said:

now a more detailed post what IMHO is a currently the best articulation map for a DAW.

I learned a lot by watching that entire vid.

I have several takeaways.

Using expression maps requires a lot of thoughtful and detailed work to create useable templates.  You don't just snap your fingers and magic happens.

The "high hill" that I assumed the programmers would need to climb to incorporate expression maps is really a "mountain".  That means it is important to wait patiently for progress to happen.

• Like 1

+1 on Keyswitches needed.  FYI--I am longtime user of Cakewalk (since 1994 TwelveTones Cakewalk 3.0 midi sequencer).  Love Cakewalk.   I also use Cubase Pro (because of midi editing and keyswitches) and I just got Studio One 5 upgrade only because of the keyswitches.   Cakewalk  (CnB) is my goto, first to goto, DAW.  I use it first, but sometimes I have to use Cubase or SO5.

I realize that the Bakers have done a tremendous job and I look forward to the new update with the expanded arranger track features.  It would be nice if CnB would eventually get Keyswitch maping like Cubase Pro and SO5 have.  

Just my 2cents.

C2

• 2 weeks later...

So glad this is being discussed! It's the most important feature I need for my workflow.
 It would be nice to hear from anyone that understands the different Key Switch techniques implemented by different DAWs and which works best and why.

The way I understand it CC program changes would be one of the best ways to change articulations? Perhaps any experienced will comment.

Edited by sadicus

Yes, there are a lot of users waiting for a cool Articulation Map in cakewalk 😃

On 8/9/2020 at 9:53 PM, sadicus said:

CC program changes would be one of the best ways to change articulations?

As shown in the Reaper Video above:  sends Bank - Program Changes, Selection LSB / MSB like cakewalks RPNs  - is IMHO the best, for all kind of Articulation also as for Note on/off, multiple output events, etc.

Logic Pro X, Cubase, Nuendo have similar Expression Maps, it works, and they have velocity maps, but the setup and click for every CC note is nightmare and i think it is also not possible to share it with other users.

Studio ONE 5 has since last release a suitable Key Switch Articulation which has copy&paste and it has user Exchange.

In the current Release 2020.08 was nothing, so waiting for the next.....

• Like 1