MIDI Device Not Making Any Noise

ceakay

Question

I just recently set up my MIDI device and it isn't making any noise through my VST's. I see the keys being pressed on the PRV, but no noise is coming out.

Then, after I re-open Cakewalk, it shows up with this message:

image.png.fbcb222a6b71c895eb0313ec2ae72402.png

Then, I checked always echo MIDI in the playback section. This caused it to make noise. But, a while back I unchecked that box because I had a problem where the instruments were playing through the wrong clips because of that. So, it would be really nice if someone told me how to fix this.

Edited by Caleb Kim

2 answers to this question

I don't know how to fix the issue with your screenshot above.  That seems to indicate some issue with a driver or permissions.  I would try re-installing any drivers that came with your midi device and maybe even re-installing Cakewalk.

When you "play" your midi keyboard and want to hear a VSTi playing you do need to make sure that the track has the "input echo" button enabled or the setting that the input echo follows the selected track to be able to hear anything.

If you record some midi to the track does the synth play it back? Or, if you drag a midi clip on the track can you hear it?