No sound output with plug ins

Goodsound

Hello

I have sound output when I load a demo song.

I also have sound output when I choose the GSM piano.

But when I choose a plug in out of the synthesizer rack, it doesn’t matter if it’s one that came with cakewalk or a third-party plug-in, my loudspeaker remain silent. I can see that the plug in  is receiving midi notes as there are lights blinking on the screen but no sound output.

Can anyone help a newbie? Thanks.

On 7/11/2020 at 1:16 PM, brandon said:

Have you checked to see if any tracks including synth tacks have been marked as Solo ? It has caught me out on a number of occasions.

Checked, but it wasn‘t due to solo (all turned off).

It must be something with the routing of the sound. Midi tracks work fine, only plug ins remain silent.

I presume that GSM piano is TTS-1. You get sound, so that is encouraging.

You have to be doing something wrong when you add an instrument.

Do a screenshot of the track containing the instrument. A close up so we can see what it says.

With that track selected open Inspector and do a closeup screenshot so we can see what it says.

Here is what I get if I insert Cakewalk's True Pianos.

The instrument track.

2035376145_TruePianosInstrument.jpg.cf2ca90f1c0e8c146e6624aff153d792.jpg

Inspector. 
Track 3 shows Input, I, is TrPns.... Obviously True Pianos.
And Output, O, is Master, the Master fader in the console.
And Master Output, O, is going to my speakers.

586174170_InspectorforTruePianos.jpg.c1adc1aa91a5f8738730cf270f784038.jpg

Open the Piano Roll View, click on the keyboard, you should get sound.

I do not intentionally route the signal in any way. As a complete beginner I opened just a basic empty project and open a Midi track and open another track for the available plug-in instruments to test.

So  the only midi sound we hear is from the PC itself. No external sound module. The only external thing is my Novation Remote25  keyboard (and speakers).

Edited by Goodsound
Typos

15 minutes ago, Goodsound said:

I do not intentionally route the signal in any way. As a complete beginner I opened just a basic empty project and open a Midi track and open another track for the available plug-in instruments to test.

So  the only midi sound we hear is from the PC itself. No external sound module. The only external thing is my Novation Remote25  keyboard (and speakers).

I asked because I have never had a midi track generate sound unless the midi data was routed to a sound source that plays midi data.  Maybe by default it is pointed to the MS sound source.  Can you post a screen shot that shows the midi widgets for each track? [I, O, C, B, P]

image.thumb.png.c6081bd82386b918baa965b99e7f3e17.png

Edited by User 905133
to add an image I hope helps show the types of tracks and the routing for each I have used here.

Sorry I couldn‘t find Info about how to open the „Midi Widget“.

The documentation pages do not help me as a beginner. 🤷🏻

This is als close as I could get:

image.jpeg.d0268a11571a9bcb0749a96201762046.jpeg

Edited by Goodsound
Added image

In your first post with screenshots: Track 3 is the instrument audio. The I dropdown must be changed to the SI Piano output, not your MIDI keyboard.

In the MIDI track, track 2,  you select RMT25V10 as Input. Output is the SI Piano.
Track 3 is the instrument audio. The Input is the output of the SI Piano. (It should have been that automatically, but never mind.) The Ouput is Master.

So, keyboard goes to MIDI track (2), MIDI track goes to instrument, instrument audio (3) goes to Master.

Put the other way round:
     MIDI track (2): input is keyboard, output is instrument.
    Instrument audio track (3): input is output of instrument. output is master.

Edited by Nigel Mackay
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting new screen shot. It confirms what I thought--that the audio you heard came from the Microsoft Synth which was serving as the default midi device to play the audio.

image.png.f644107836f1989def9f9a91b8177ea5.png 

Track two shows the Output [O] Track Control Widget is routing the midi data to "1McrsftG..." which is the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

As Nigel pointed out, to have the midi data sent to the SI-Electric Piano software synth, you need to route the output of that track to the SI-Electric Piano.  There are a number of ways to do that.

-----------------------------------------------

P[references]:  image.png.a68c3132764cf81112eca5429b224fd5.png

• Thanks 1

The simplest way to start out with synth tracks is to insert  them as a simple instrument track.

One way (and there are several) is to simply go to the Cakewalk  top menu bar and select Insert> Soft Synth > choose any synth from the pulldown menu. Then when greeted by the "Insert Soft Synth Options" panel, simply select "Simple Instrument Track" and click OK.

The simple instrument track automatically sets up your MIDI & audio track as one combined instrument track, with all the MIDI & audio routing taken care of.

Eventually you may want them as separate tracks , but for starters I do  recommend this method first! A synth requires both tracks if used separately.

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 1

• 1 month later...

There is audio visible on the meter in a few of your screenshots. Routed to Master.

1297592745_2020-09-1214_08_21-Window.jpg.73b6df18cb3300cb561f5637bab43afa.jpg

In this screen shot There is a broad strip above Modules Strips Track ....
Above that is a thin strip. Click and drag that up, so you see this:

1534151941_2020-09-1214_10_41-Window.jpg.ad764966fd7ee454938ac3645fcc2b3e.jpg

Then just below the meter on the Master strip click and drag it downwards to make it bigger.

535767969_2020-09-1214_12_52-Window.jpg.867463e0e093f5d0a862c6e0b71c3032.jpg

When you play notes and the meter shows activity on the track , do you see meter movement on the Master strip? What is it routed to? O. Mine says SpkrRHD...

On the control bar at the top, to the right of the time display, are a play button, a record button, and a metronome button. Click the record dot. This makes the metronome sound when recording.
Arm any one of the tracks for recording - click the red button.
At the top, click Record - the red button with funny squiggles on it.
You should hear the metronome.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Nigel
Sorry for my late answer, I thought I turned on the „notification me per email if there are new answers“. So I waited for notification for two weeks and there wasn’t  any. Today I checked the thread anyway and there were indeed answers...

As you can see on the screenshot I have input movement both on the track and the master strip ; the output is routed to RLTK.. which is my soundcard. But no sound.

When I record I see input/movement on the metronome but I do not hear the metronome itself.

I can graphically see on the screen what I recorded but there is no sound output by later playback as well.

I also checked Edit->Preferences->Devices/Driver Settings but couldn‘t spot anything meaningful to change as every checkbox for my soundcard driver was already checked.

EDIT: I found out that the driver that cakewalk used was  for digital output only, but I have connected my speakers to the analog output. Even though I changed this to the correct analog output driver and according routings, I still have no sound 😞

CEC8A5CC-3EB7-4CCA-BD5D-1BCB891EC761.jpeg

Edited by Goodsound
Analogue Driver

It isn't notify by email, it is just a badge (little number like on your phone with new SMS, WhatsApp, etc.) on the bell shaped icon in the top right corner. You have to open up the forum and look. 
Most of us find out the hard way.  😀

Open Console View.
If you can't see the Master, Metronome and Preview faders, drag that thin strip on the right of the window to the left.
The left hand one.
551283976_2020-09-2105_43_38-.jpg.33710d9f23168b023044d17ea403122e.jpg

Then drag the 2nd one to the left as well.
You see your hardware output fader.
619357906_2020-10-0212_39_18-Cakewalk-UntitledProject1_-Track.jpg.db106630710f5e07b4eaf6abf67e9be4.jpg
The one with the brown knobs.
Make sure you see meter activity there.
If you do, then maybe you have not selected the correct output device.
In the Windows notification area, right-click on the speakers icon and select Open Sound Settings.
161105686_2020-10-0212_44_17-Settings.jpg.d682a0b4381ad12ace03ea06444372a6.jpg

There you can see what Windows is using. My Windows is using Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio.)
My Cakewalk Preferences -> Audio -> Devices:
53946946_2020-10-0212_47_39-Preferences.jpg.b60dcf6105fd1e72104f5dd4e4d0c1a0.jpg
Cakewalk is also using Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio.)

Can we see a screenshot of your Preferences -> Audio -> Devices.

OK, here are the screenshots.

Seems all similiar to what you did.

Signal present on all strips. Analogue output 1/2 like yours. And in general Windows as well.
Videos or music playback from other apps work fine. Just Cakewalk remains silent.... (shrugs shoulder).

Thanks for your help.

943F5B8F-D217-4629-9F0F-ECDB10779981.jpeg

C47BFD4D-EFD3-4269-907B-FA9CBD343078.jpeg

CC719F3B-D166-42C2-B8FB-28B66ACFEE25.jpeg