How do you define track end?

Ronman

Question

This seems like it should be simple.  I have just one track.  Recording is finished, but the track goes on forever.  How do I tell it something like "make the current position of the Now pointer the absolute end of the track"?  i.e. playback would stop there.

9 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Ronman said:

This seems like it should be simple.  I have just one track.  Recording is finished, but the track goes on forever.  How do I tell it something like "make the current position of the Now pointer the absolute end of the track"?  i.e. playback would stop there.

Move you NOW pointer to where you want the project to stop.

Then In the event list view, insert an MCI command "stop" there

Now, the project will stop at that point where the "stop" command has been placed (regardless of any events following the "stop" command).

See:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.33.html

(search for "Automatically stop/pause playback with MCI MIDI events")

Edited by Promidi

When I press Alt-8 for Event View nothing happens.  When I look at the Project's Views menu, there are views for Alt-2, Alt-3, Alt-4, Alt-5, Alt-6, and Alt-9.  But no Alt-8.

Nothing in the track's own view menu, either.

Or by right-clicking in the clips pane.

I have a newly installed version of Cakewalk.

Where is it?

9 minutes ago, Ronman said:

When I press Alt-8 for Event View nothing happens.  When I look at the Project's Views menu, there are views for Alt-2, Alt-3, Alt-4, Alt-5, Alt-6, and Alt-9.  But no Alt-8.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Edited by User 905133

5 hours ago, Ronman said:

Nothing in the track's own view menu, either.

Or by right-clicking in the clips pane.

I have a newly installed version of Cakewalk.

Where is it?

Set Workspaces to "none"

"Stop at Project End" does not solve the problem of an errant automation node or MIDI event. Unless a loop is defined, SONAR always plays until the last bit of data is processed. Unexpected data is usually the cause of a runaway project." -scook

Old thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/PROBLEM-SOLVED-How-do-I-fix-songs-not-stopping-at-end-of-song-Sonar-85-m3277344.aspx

Edited by sjoens

In case anybody else has this problem, the solution is that if the far upper right selection box - I don't know what it's called - next to the window minimize/maximize buttons, is set to 'Basic', then none of the Workspaces will have an Event List.

I set that drop down selection to 'Arranger' or 'Advanced' and Event List started appearing in the View menus.

3 hours ago, Ronman said:

In case anybody else has this problem, the solution is that if the far upper right selection box - I don't know what it's called - next to the window minimize/maximize buttons, is set to 'Basic', then none of the Workspaces will have an Event List.

I set that drop down selection to 'Arranger' or 'Advanced' and Event List started appearing in the View menus.

I guess you missed where both Promidi and I referred you to Workspaces. (See above.)

If you want to read more about Workspaces, see https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Lenses.1.html . Its also in the Reference Guide.

3 hours ago, Ronman said:

. . . if the far upper right selection box . . . is set to 'Basic', then none of the Workspaces will have an Event List.

Just to clarify: "Basic" is one of the factory Workspaces that comes when you install Cakewalk.  At present, it excludes the Event List. As you found out, other Workspaces do not exclude the Event List.

I am not sure what the official name is for the selection box, but it is used to select, manage, and create Workspaces. Personally, I like them and make use of my own custom Workspaces; however, when people are learning Cakewalk, it can be confusing (at present). 

Edited by User 905133
to add links and some comments

The confusing part is that in the column that contains the track controls, there's a drop down that specifically says "Workspace", but selecting any of the options there has no effect on the Event List being available, and makes no visible changes.

Meanwhile, the drop down menu you're speaking of, in the upper right, which confusingly is not labeled "Workspace", changes the workspace and in the process makes workspaces available that have the Event List.

The drop is indicating a Workspace is active and the workspace affects the controls displayed in the track headers. When there is no active workspace, the drop down shows the current Track Control setting.

The Workspace menu is in the extreme upper right. It can controls the available views. It displays the name of the active workspace or when set to None the drop down shows "Workspaces"