When Pitch-Bending, How do You Know the Value of The Note You Are Sliding it To?

ceakay

Question

I know that the wheel thing is used to pitch bend notes,  but how do I know what note it is pitch bending to? Also, how do I make the pitch-bend more smooth. For example, whenever I pitch bend, it does it in rectangle things, and not smooth curves. 

Edited by Caleb Kim

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Caleb Kim said:

I know that the wheel thing is used to pitch bend notes,  but how do I know what note it is pitch bending to? Also, how do I make the pitch-bend more smooth. For example, whenever I pitch bend, it does it in rectangle things, and not smooth curves. 

Not sure of the details of what you are facing, but maybe this recent discussion addresses your circumstances:

In part, pitch bend value depends on the pitch bend range setting of your synth.  For example if the range is set to a Perfect Fifth, the full range of the value with be +/- a Perfect Fifth.   

Edited by User 905133
To add a basic answer to what might be of concern

6 hours ago, Caleb Kim said:

It depends on the range of your pitch bend.  I use pitch bend generated notes all the time in my MIDI files.

I have written a Studioware panel has two sliders.  One sets the pitch bend range (using RPN Events) and that other that allows me to set the interval.  The Studioware panel calculates the actual correct pitch bend value from the values of the two sliders.

It's all based on a value between -8192 to 8181 (The actual pitch bend MIDI event values).  The actual value depend on the pitch bend range and the note you want to bend to (or from).

The formula is 8191 * (required bend / pitch bend range)

Say your pitch bend range is 5 semitones but you have an instance where you want the bend to go up just 2 semitones.  The pitch bend value would be 8191*(2/5)

When I am entering glides with pitch bend using the PRV, I turn on snap - but use PRV snap over-ride at a resolution of 64th note (sometimes 128th).  Any more than that (by turning snap off) can overwhelm some older synths with MIDI data and might drop some.