Mismatched sample rates

dantarbill

Question

This is going to seem like a stupid question...

Is there a way to handle a project with audio that doesn't match the current driver's sample rate?

For instance, I pulled in live multi-track stems that were all 48 kHz.  I didn't want to go through the pain of reconfiguring my setup to 48k...so I chickened out and just down converted it all to 44.1.

Another thing would be, I'm considering getting a live mixer for studio use that runs at 96 kHz (fixed).  How would I then handle the metric boatloads of legacy projects that are all at 44.1?

2 answers to this question

Project files are fixed at whatever sample rate they were originally recorded at. You can bring any audio into a new project at any sample rate you choose and it will convert to the project setting, but the projects themselves stay how they were created. Depending on the device, some will change automatically when opening a project at a different sample rate, and others require you to set the sample rate on the hardware or via the device's control panel. The device needs to match the project sample rate to play back. 

• Like 1