BandLab Digital Link interfaces

Starship Krupa

Not a time-sensitive offer, and whether you think they are "deals" in general is up to you, but since this forum can seem kind of insulated from the rest of the BandLab empire at times, I wanted to make people aware of these:

https://store.bandlab.com/collections/link-digital

The last time I checked, they weren't shipping yet. BandLab are officially in the interface business, I don't know how long they have been shipping, and I guess my having to post this suggests that "we can sell a lot of these interfaces to the user base" wasn't a major motivation for the Cakewalk acquisition.

Or did I have my head in the sand and there was a big announcement accompanied by a contest and giveaway? All I remember is a contest and giveaway of another company's interface to a lucky Cakewalk forum user.

Anyway, they look nice, although if the rates are really fixed/capped at 48K I personally would pass.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure these have been around for a good while. I'm also pretty sure they would be of little interest to most here, as they don't even begin to compare to audio interfaces most here would use. They are however very suitable to those they are likely aimed at, the online BandLab crew who use Phones and tablets etc to create. They are essentially just away to hook up to mobile devices.

Azslow3 put it best on the old forums

I do not know why they call it an "audio interface", technically it is a small portable pre-amp which allows connecting guitar/mic to the mic input of build-in audio interface of phone/tablet/notebook.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3776855

Edited by ensconced

They've been available through the BandLab online store for a year or better.   My memory is the digital devices are locked at 16/48k and are Windows compliant so they use built-in Windows drivers.  There is no free shipping unless your order is for $149 US or higher.

• Sad 1

On 7/10/2020 at 1:11 AM, ensconced said:

azslow> technically it is a small portable pre-amp which allows connecting guitar/mic to the mic input of build-in audio interface of phone/tablet/notebook

Oh, you must not have noticed the link I included, which when clicked on, explains everything. 😥

You must have thought the part of my post where I talked about them being "capped at 48" were the rantings of a madman.😅

"Technically," the ones I linked to are USB digital audio interfaces, which is why I posted the link here. I had a hunch that some people would be under the same impression that I was, that BandLab were still only selling preamp dongles (The BandLab Link). These are full-fledged interfaces complete with XLR combo inputs and phantom power (The BandLab Link Digital).

Here's what I suspect happened: In the 2 years since azslow posted his message, BandLab came out with new products. Other companies have pulled it off, why not BandLab? Once this thought occurred to me, it started to fall into place. They had a small product line, then they expanded it.

11 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

did they update the site to share some real specs?

I thought that putting the link at the top would make it easy for people to notice. Maybe if I made it bigger? You still have to click on it to find out the information, nothing I can do about that.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I thought that putting the link at the top would make it easy for people to notice. Maybe if I made it bigger? You still have to click on it to find out the information, nothing I can do about that.

🤣

Here is an example of the specs from the lowest model in Focusrites Line of Audio Interfaces

Supported Sample Rates

44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz

Microphone Inputs

Frequency Response

20Hz - 20kHz ± 0.1dB

Dynamic Range

111dB (A-weighted)

THD+N

<0.0012% 

Noise EIN

-128dBu (A-weighted)

Maximum Input Level

9dBu (at minimum gain)

Gain Range

56dB

Impedance

3kΩ

Line Inputs

Frequency Response

20Hz - 20kHz ± 0.1dB

Dynamic Range

110.5dB (A-weighted)

THD+N

<0.002%

Maximum Input Level

22dBu (at minimum gain)

Gain Range

56dB

Impedance

60kΩ

Instrument Inputs

Frequency Response

20Hz - 20kHz ± 0.1dB

Dynamic Range

110dB (A-weighted)

THD+N

<0.03%

Maximum Input Level

12.5dBu (at minimum gain)

Gain Range

56dB

Impedance

1.5MΩ

Line/Monitor Outputs

Dynamic Range (Line Outputs)

108dB

THD+N

<0.002%

Maximum Output Level (0 dBFS)

15.5dBu 

Impedance

430Ω

HEADPHONE OUTPUTS

Dynamic Range

104dB (A-weighted)

THD+N

<0.002%

Maximum Output Level

7dBu

Impedance

<1Ω

Compared to

Tech Specs:

Sample rate: 48kHz

Bit depth: 16 bits

2 x Neutrik Combo Jack (1/4" + XLR)

1/4" Stereo output

1/8" Headphone output

Master Volume knob

2 x Input Gain

2 x Phantom power (48V)

167mm (W) x 42mm (H) x 77mm (D)

USB-C compatible

I think you'll find that the comparison example will be relevant in much more areas than just specs 😇

Edited by ensconced
  • Like 1

So you

2 hours ago, ensconced said:

knew exactly what they were when you posted them and the differences, shovels and spades.

My apologies, goodsir, it was what was in your quote from azslow that was in error, but the page does say that they intend for people to use the things with their Macs and PC's. Whether anyone would wish to....not for me to decide.

You are perhaps under the misapprehension that I somehow endorse these things, but if you get around to reading my original post you'll find that it concludes with me saying "I personally would pass." In case there's any ambiguity about that, it means that I would not wish to purchase the BandLab Digital Link interfaces due to their beginner-level specifications.

Where I said "whether you think they are 'deals' in general is up to you," what I meant by that was that it was not instantly apparent to me that they were, and that people should decide for themselves.

I see you're doing a service to the left-mouse-button-challenged by copying and pasting the specs, and even giving them an example of a competing product and telling them they should compare them. Perhaps my "whether they are 'deals' is up to you" was a bit fancy. Well, good on ya, mate.

No Euthymia, I am just pointing out what these things are, as you seem to be intent on making them more than what they are. They are aimed at and marketed to people who use the BandLab App, the online thingamajig, and who work on phone, tablets and such mobile devices.

BandLab

Whether you need to dive into a pool of ambient reverb and delay, or drive your guitar into epic vintage distortion, simply combine the BandLab app with the Link Digital to instantly access a vast library of effects and sounds. All for free!

That was not the intent of my "service to the left-mouse-button-challenged", and I highly doubt many here would be interested in the spec's., as well as giving you an idea of what Pwalpwal was talking about, or do I need to make it bigger?

For people who use fully fledged DAWs and such, these things would be woefully inadequate, and even when compared to others bottom of the range products they are severely lacking.

Next you'll be trying to tell people that the Sonitus plugin suite is still relevant and up there with the best of them 😉 Good on ya Mate

Oh, and I'm glad you are not interested in these things, I think you would be very disappointed in generall, unless you just wanted a knockabout mobile thingy for sketching, even then there are much better options available 👍

Edited by ensconced

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

ght occurred to me, it started to fall into place. They had a small product line, then they expanded it.

thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ensconced said:

For people who use fully fledged DAWs and such, these things would be woefully inadequate, and even when compared to others bottom of the range products they are severely lacking.

I do not disagree there. As I said, no endorsement or recommendation implied. Especially as someone who tracks everything at 44.1/24, if these are locked at 48/16. I would not want to have to work within the constraint of having to fit all the range into 16 bit.

14 hours ago, ensconced said:

Next you'll be trying to tell people that the Sonitus plugin suite is still relevant and up there with the best of them

Still relevant: absolutely. Up there with the best of them....depends on what you mean by "them." If "them" is "the in-house plug-ins that come with the DAW," I think they're fine. I don't use them myself because the DXi format doesn't work in any of the other programs I use, so learning them in depth isn't going to happen unless/until they're issued in 64-bit VST form. I like to be able to use my tools across different programs.

(I'm a Meldamoonie, and after that, it's whatever works. Boz Digital (Gatey Watey), Sonic Anomaly (Unlimited), SoundSpot (Cyclone), Wavesfactory (Trackspacer), IK Multimedia (One), Acon Digital (Multiply) are all in my project templates and A-List folder)