Space Time Warped

Wookiee

8 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Space Time Warped

An experimental Track using a Voltage Modular and a generative Patch. which does make it a little unpredictable each time it is captured.

Hope you enjoy thanks for listening. 

cool - it does have a scientific feel about it.

Clever, it was different the second time I listened - modern technology = marvellous

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, bjornpdx said:

patch changes with every MIDI note

There is a module called "Random Task" it has a Gate input which can either be trigger by a Clock/Gate or in this case the Gate from a key press.

This generates a Voltage which has probability, shuffle and Steps/Range controls and also voltage value from 0 to 5v's The output CV goes into a quantizer to keep it in tune. From there it just gets a little mad as it feeds an oscillator which controls a vectoring module, which is modulated by three other oscillators.  which in them selves are modulated by a few LFO's.  Do you get the picture?

Thanks for the ears @bjornpdx.  When you do look in to Modular synthesis be prepared to disappear down a rabbit hole and get lost along the way.

Hey Wookiee.  I dunno - for a fossil rocker/Blues guy/rockabilly cat the technology and patches are a mystery.  I have been in conflict with basic MIDI (in trying to use it for instruments) for quite a while now.  However, I enjoyed it and I think you captured what you were trying to accomplish.  Nice one!

• Thanks 1

@Douglas Kirby Thank you for listening and leaving a comment, futuristic I suppose I have very little idea where any of it comes from it just sort ends up coming out of the end of the furry paws.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:03 PM, Hidden Symmetry said:

I heard this the other day on BL.

And I thank you for your comment there.

• Like 1

Very cool track, I just kept wishing it was wider, but that's just me, I like elements coming in and out from the extremes.  However maybe you had no control over this,  seeing how you serendipitously created the soundscape. Other than that I thought it was really cool!

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 4:45 AM, Wookiee said:

There is a module called "Random Task" it has a Gate input which can either be trigger by a Clock/Gate or in this case the Gate from a key press.

This generates a Voltage which has probability, shuffle and Steps/Range controls and also voltage value from 0 to 5v's The output CV goes into a quantizer to keep it in tune. From there it just gets a little mad as it feeds an oscillator which controls a vectoring module, which is modulated by three other oscillators.  which in them selves are modulated by a few LFO's.  Do you get the picture?

. . . When you do look in to Modular synthesis be prepared to disappear down a rabbit hole and get lost along the way.

Thanks for sharing the tune and for the details on your technical and compositional strategies.  I am very new to using Voltage Modular, but I find it to be extremely intuitive (probably based on my experiences from long ago). I will have to see if I have this module.

As for the "rabbit hole," I know what you mean!! In fact this week I have been reliving memories from the day the synth rep gave a demo at my  undergraduate college and two of us stayed to explore and were surprised when the janitor came in to clean the synth room the next morning. We had no idea it was that late--errr, early. 

Edited by User 905133
  • Haha 1