Cakewalk and OVox

Hello all, with the latest update does OVox Vocal ReSynthesis by Waves now work within Cakewalk? I wanted to buy the latest version of OVox when it first came out but there was a disclaimer on the Waves site that said it caused Cakewalk by BandLab to crash. In the release notes of the latest Cakewalk update it states that the issue was fixed, but I just wanted to know if anyone has successfully used OVox within Cakewalk.  Also, I read in a post somewhere that the Melodyne 5 update caused a Cakewalk project to crash, however it seems to me that that was an isolated incident, unless others have had the same problem? Thanks for any info on the topic.

On 7/9/2020 at 3:27 AM, tonemangler said:

.  Also, I read in a post somewhere that the Melodyne 5 update caused a Cakewalk project to crash, however it seems to me that that was an isolated incident, unless others have had the same problem? Thanks for any info on the topic.

I have upgraded Melodyne (studio) to version 5 and I have been using it extensively this past week an I have not encountered a problem.  I have been using it as a region effect via ARA.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:07 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

There was a problem with Ovox but in the last update we worked around the crash so it should be fine in the latest release.
Any Melodyne crashes should be reported to Celemony support directly.

Noel, I have the latest version of CbB  (2020.05), and I just updated OVox today, and it wouldn't load into a project with the previous version of OVox.  So, it's still broken with CW, and Waves still does not say the two are compatible, yet.  Fortunately, Waves gave me a link to rollback to the previous version of OVox, so I'm good to go with my project.  Just saying....

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Its still crashing? I have a confirmation from Waves QA that the 05 release solved the Ovox crash on load issue.
Can you share a project please and a dump file?

No, the project didn't crash, rather, the new version of OVox didn't load though there was an instance of the previous version in the project.  Everything else was fine.  How would I send the project to you?  PM me if you want.

That's a completely different issue and is not something we have control over. If the new ovox had a different vst ID from the old one it won't load automatically if older projects referenced the old version. This is not a Cakewalk problem.

If you insert it in a project and save and reload it does it work? If so the original problem is fixed.

On 7/10/2020 at 10:37 PM, tonemangler said:

Thanks Vernon, I'll be upgrading soon! How do you like the new version?

I like it, the sibilance tools are very good if, you are prepared to use them in a targeted manner they are better than a de-esser. Note leveling is excellent and should reduce the amount of automation and compression needed.

I have not tried the chord feature yet but it looks useful, now if Cakewalk had a chord track that linked to it? Well that's a different story.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

That's a completely different issue and is not something we have control over. If the new ovox had a different vst ID from the old one it won't load automatically if older projects referenced the old version. This is not a Cakewalk problem.

If you insert it in a project and save and reload it does it work? If so the original problem is fixed.

Noel, the night before, Windows 10 upgraded itself, and the next day my problem went away with the new OVox.  I don't know if that had anything to do with my problem, but serendipity strikes!  Thanks for your quick reply, but, hopefully, I'm good to go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I like it, the sibilance tools are very good if, you are prepared to use them in a targeted manner they are better than a de-esser. Note leveling is excellent and should reduce the amount of automation and compression needed.

I have not tried the chord feature yet but it looks useful, now if Cakewalk had a chord track that linked to it? Well that's a different story.

Sounds great! I am currently working on a vocal track so should be useful! The trouble is, lately I've been going overboard with plug-in purchases and now I'm afraid to see my credit card statement! Oh well, I guess that's the price we pay to delusionally try to achieve unrealistic expectations!! Hahaha just kidding, have a good one. 🙂

9 hours ago, Lynn said:

Noel, the night before, Windows 10 upgraded itself, and the next day my problem went away with the new OVox.  I don't know if that had anything to do with my problem, but serendipity strikes!  Thanks for your quick reply, but, hopefully, I'm good to go.

Hmm no idea what your issue was. I even checked with the Waves developers and they said that Ovox is backwards compatible and there should be no issues.
If you encounter it again share the project and we can send it to Waves. If its system specific you will have to work with them directly.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:27 AM, tonemangler said:

Hello all, with the latest update does OVox Vocal ReSynthesis by Waves now work within Cakewalk? I wanted to buy the latest version of OVox when it first came out but there was a disclaimer on the Waves site that said it caused Cakewalk by BandLab to crash. In the release notes of the latest Cakewalk update it states that the issue was fixed, but I just wanted to know if anyone has successfully used OVox within Cakewalk.  Also, I read in a post somewhere that the Melodyne 5 update caused a Cakewalk project to crash, however it seems to me that that was an isolated incident, unless others have had the same problem? Thanks for any info on the topic.

Once you have all recommended updates of your windows build installed, it should runs smooth. It was never a CbB issue - but a windows update issue, especially not having the dotnet3.5 installed. 

To help you with some other issues - go here. 

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/16404-solving-known-issues-please-try-this/

• Like 1

Not gonna lie to you all. I just got ovox and it opens just fine in my daw and works at regular compacity. But when I close my daw and come back to it, it completely crashes my entire project therefore corrupting it and causing me to have to start over. I keep getting a fatal error so I’m therefore scared to use it on multiple vocals and I’m scared to even copy a previous ovox setting I have already on a bus to another track because it also gave me a fatal error. Don’t know if it’s just me but this plug in just crashes my cakewalk altogether.

• Like 1

I just got OVOX and have lost a project. Cakewalk crashes every project I use OVOX on.....anybody?

"when I close my daw and come back to it, it completely crashes my entire project therefore corrupting it and causing me to have to start over. I keep getting a fatal error so I’m therefore scared to use it!"

Same here!!

Edited by Rob Diffenderfer