VST - Insert Instrument Assign Channel

sadicus

How to Assign a Dedicated MIDI Channel to a specific VST using "Insert Instrument"?  ** On a MIDI Track, Looks like "Bank" and "Channel" are the same thing.**
Been awhile since working with midi, so I'm overlooking something.
In this example Zeta2, Dimension Session and Dimension Pro don't seem to have a way to set a MIDI channel.
The Track MIDI data can be selected and all data can be assigned a channel, but the VST plugin itself does not have a Channel. Are they all Channel 1?
Kontact is the only obvious VST that has a very clear way to set the channel.

Kontakt - VST is set to Chnl 2 - MIDI notes are set to Chnl 2 (All notes on this track get sent to Kontact)

Zeta2 - How to set VST Chnl ? - MIDI notes are set to Chnl 3 (All notes on this track get sent to ?)

DimPro - How to set VST Chnl ? - MIDI notes are set to Chnl 4 (All notes on this track get sent to ?)

Edited by sadicus

Single channel VST's like say SI Bass will play on any midi channel. Multi channel VST's as well but some, LIke Air's Xpand only give you ch 1,2,3 &4 and the Air Strike Drums use channels for different drum maps.  

It's easy to change the midi tracks channel use the dialog box  C= Channel 

1-Track inspector tts1.png

As Cactus says, it's usually the case with mono-timbral  instruments that they receive midi data as Omni (any channel).

Changing the MIDI track channel will filter the MIDI data received from an external controller, and can be used to affect which instrument channel in a multi-timbral setup,  such as Kontakt, will respond to the controller.

The MIDI data in a MIDI clip also has MIDI channel info, and this will not be affected by changing the track input channel. You can examine/edit this channel data in the Event List.

Are you working with MIDI files and data, or are you trying to set up external MIDI controllers?

If you are working with MIDI data, it will be easier if the instruments each have their own MIDI tracks. That way each MIDI track can have its own channel 1, and not conflict with any other.

Edited by abacab

It's a left over from bygone days when you certainly needed to have a channel for each of your sounds.

Now I rarely pay attention anymore other than when I use Dim Pro or Xpand. 

Example is if Idownload a midi file there will be a channel for each instrument. Up to 16.  As I point those tracks at new VST's to improve the sound quality I never bother to change the channels.