video with projects wont load with new system

max law

Question

I have associated videos saved with my songs. After changing over from one computer to another the video no longer loads up, with the project. the video window loads, and the name of the video that is suppose to open is there as well. but no video.

10 answers to this question

The project will remember the name of the video file, that is why the name appears.

Are the video files actually there? In the same location? You can always just delete the reference to the file and add it again. If there is a problem that should tell you what it is.

no the video files are not there when I load the project up. the name of the video file is there but no video. on my other system the video file opens with the project as it should, but not on my new system.

I mean, are the video files ACTUALLY there on the hard drive of the new computer? 
Not just a reference in the project, on the new computer in real life?
Did you remember to copy the video files to the new computer?
If you look with File Explorer, can you find the video files on the new computer?
If you can find them with File Explorer, do they play if you double-click on them?
If you create a new project and select File -> Import -> Video, can you find and select one of the videos and actually add it to the new project?

Edited by Nigel Mackay

Ok. Cakewalk uses Windows to play video files. It could be that the new PC doesn't have the correct codec for the video. What format is the video? An example is that Windows can't natively play MPEG-2 files.

1) Make sure your video card has latest driver
2a) Download and install K-Lite Codec pack. On this page select either Server 1, 2 or 3.
2b) Remember what the old PC was using and implement that on the new PC.

15 hours ago, max law said:

Sorry Nigel, yes the files are on the new pc as well, cakewalk seems to find the name of the file it just wont load the video file.

A Cakewalk project will hold a reference to the exact location of the video file. For Example "C:\my videos\video1.mov" if that file is not in the exact same location it will obviously fail to locate it. It will still however show the file name of where it "thought" the file was from when the project was last saved.

11 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

What @NealClark said. That is why I said "Are the video files actually there? In the same location? You can always just delete the reference to the file and add it again." You didn't say if you had tried that.

Sorry I missed your other reply on this and replicated what you had already said. Ooops

yes location is the same on both pcs. I could always just delete the reference and reload the video but that is just another step that i would have to do, and I have a LOT of files i would have to do this to. The codex thing is worth a try and I will give it a try tomorrow when I get a chance, thanks.