Is there a way to lower a sound clip volume and see it visually without bouncing it.

pdkmusic

Question

I hope I made myself clear so I can help you answer the question. I just want to cut a wav file into three parts and lower the middle one. But I want to visually see how I am lowering the volume so I can match it with the other parts. The only way that I found is with clip automation but the waveform stays the same and I dont fully trust my ears.

7 answers to this question

I cant do that everytime. What if I make a mistake and want to do that again. Its not so practical but thanks for replying. I have to edit an audiobook so I need to find a way to quickly lower or raise some parts and have a visual representation of what I am doing.

One methodology to accomplish this,  is to use the "gain" change under the process menu (with a caution):

• Select the area in the waveform/clip to change the gain.
  • Menu:  Process > Apply Effect > Gain.   
  • The gain change will appear immediately.
  • CAUTION:  The downside of doing it this way is that the operation can be permanent (see the documentation). 
    It can be reverted using the "undo" command.  However,  I'm not sure it's recoverable beyond "undo".
    Although, CbB might save the original track in the audio folder.
  • Would be wise to duplicate the track first, so that it can be easily be recovered.

P.S.   A keyboard shortcut can be created for the "Gain" menu to speed up the process.  

Edited by Tom B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, backwoods said:

noel has intimated that visual clip gain is on his radar so we will probably see that in the not too distant future 🙂

Here's a link to the 'Feedback Loop' forum request for "Visual Clip Gain".  This would be a nice feature to have in CbB.

Edited by Tom B