Midi CC to external synth delayed

Been having this problem for a while now, and it's a massive pain.

I can send midi notes to external gear with no problem, but when I try to send midi CC (using the CC control lanes in a track) it's delayed but 1 - 2 seconds. This ONLY occurs while recording the synth, NOT when I hit play, so for example, I have a piano roll with a sequence, and with that MIDI CC controlling the filter, setting the audio track to record, and hitting record will record notes as programmed, but the MIDI CC is later than programmed. 

This does not happen with soft synths, and neither does it happen if I just hit play in cakewalk and have the audio live, it ONLY affects external gear MIDI CC, and ONLY recorded audio.

It's impossible right now for me to record any audio in where I need to modify synth parameters in real-time while recording .

Not sure I follow so just ignore if I got it wrong

- you play back notes in clips with midi to external synth while touching synth knobs in realtime to add filter changes, and record final audio?

a) or are you using other controller that sending a certain midi cc - thinking extra delay routes this travels?

b) how large are asio buffers if the realtime delay is significant?

c) this using "local off" in synth and roundtrip monitor midi cc through Cakewalk - or "local on" where knob directly control parameter in synth?

There is a setting to disable that local off is sent when project load

"SendLocalOff=<0 or 1> Boolean 1 (enable) This line determines whether or not Cakewalk should send a Local 
Control OFF message during startup."

Edited by LarsF

On 7/7/2020 at 2:43 PM, LarsF said:

Not sure I follow so just ignore if I got it wrong

- you play back notes in clips with midi to external synth while touching synth knobs in realtime to add filter changes, and record final audio?

yep, not correct, everything is programmed on the piano roll in cakewalk, including midi CC perameters, along with notes, this is being sent to the synth, to record, ill arm the audio track for recording, make sure the midi track is sending to the synth then hit record, saves me having to potentially make mistakes playing the synth live recording. the notes are sent and recorded fine, but the CC is sent late, and in the recorded audio is late, this is not the case if i just hit play in cakewalk (still sending midi from the midi track to the synth though, just this time its realtime audio rather than recording it)

Download the trackdiag och portdiag mfx plugins here and see what is going on

http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/

PortDiag is for realtime monitoring what is coming in, and TrackDiag capture what is played back. Very useful.

Just insert on midi track plugin bay.

Unless you were tweaking realtime as I read your post before, I cannot see how that would be happening.

Some information is missing in how you did things.

Have you set recording manual offset in config for audio device?

Are PDC activated as you record or turned off on toolbar buttons?

I do almost solely external midi gear, 4 synths, hammond and a digital piano, and never saw that.

If your hear in  realtime that audio from synth react, why should it not record audio as such?

Or are you rerecording midi first, or something?

Just an audio track and it does not sound right from synth if one track is armed for recording, and record is going on?

Is midi cc separate midi track, or together with notes as recorded before?

I set midi tracks negative time+ so audio from synth line up with grid where midi is, did you do that?

I have separate values for each synth how much time is needs to respond, from 100 samples to 400 samples or so. Set in ticks on track.

Please fill us in on more details....

Edited by LarsF