Feature request - Input Echo buttons

John Deacon

Would it be possible please, to add a modifier key behaviour to the Input Echo button?

I would find it very useful in large templates to be able to hold down, say, the Alt key when clicking a track's Input Echo button, and for that to set all tracks' Input Echo to off and then set the track in question's Input Echo to on.

It would have almost the same effect as if I'd clicked the Input Echo [On/Off] all tracks button (in the Mix Module in the Control Bar) before I clicked the Input Echo button of a single particular track. I say, almost the same, because I wouldn't want my doing that to have the effect of setting all tracks' Input Echo to on should I accidentally modifier-click an Input Echo button when no Input Echoes were set to on.

(If that behaviour already exists, I'd be very glad to know how to achieve it.)

You'll be happy to know that the functionality you want is there, but you have to take an extra step.

Are you aware of Quick Grouping? That's Cakewalk's ability to group track functions on an ad hoc basis by selecting the Tracks, then holding down Ctrl while clicking or dragging. Input Echo toggle is a Quick Groupable function. There are many Quick Groupable functions, such as fader moves, pan moves, mute, solo and record toggles, etc. It really speeds up the work when used in tandem with swipe selection of track headers.

So in your case, you'd select the tracks you want to toggle Input Echo (which you can quickly do by holding the left mouse button down and swiping across the Track Numbers), then hold Ctrl when you click on the icon.

For a specific example, let's say I have Tracks 1-16. Tracks 1-12 and 14-16 have Input Echo on, 13 does not, and I want to invert that.

In Console View, I'd swipe select all 16 tracks, then Ctrl-click on any Input Echo button. Done.

This takes about a second with 16 tracks. In Track View, maybe a touch longer, depending on if I have lanes open and have to scroll.

Also, if you're a big Input Echo toggler, you can assign a keystroke to it, but it only works on a per-track basis.

That's interesting. I didn't know about that. Thanks.

It probably won't be enough however. I have a lot of tracks and several track folders, so selecting all of the MIDI tracks is difficult. And I don't have MIDI tracks showing in the console - only audio tracks and instrument tracks.

The problem I'm trying to fix is a hidden track with its Input Echo set. I don't notice that it's set and I click Input Echo on another track. I start playing on the keyboard controller and two instruments sound. It's not a huge problem. I have to stop, click the Input Echo in the Mix Module to clear all the Input Echoes including the hidden track (which is what I had forgotten to do in the first place), and then again click the Input Echo for the track I want.

So I still think I'd like to request the feature please.

• Like 1