Projects always open in Console View

brandon

1 hour ago, John Bradley said:

This is a bug introduced in 2020.05.

The contents of the right-most tab in the multidock are displayed on load, regardless of which tab was selected when you saved the project.

I believe this [your second sentence] pre-dates 2020.05 on my PC with some of my Workspaces.  I found that selecting a different tab was an effective work-around.  

20 hours ago, User 905133 said:
22 hours ago, John Bradley said:

This is a bug introduced in 2020.05.

The contents of the right-most tab in the multidock are displayed on load, regardless of which tab was selected when you saved the project.

I believe this [your second sentence] pre-dates 2020.05 on my PC with some of my Workspaces.  I found that selecting a different tab was an effective work-around.  

1 hour ago, brandon said:

Could you describe how (or what you mean by) selecting a different tab? 

Thank you

To clarify, I was referring to John Bradley's comment about the tabs in the multidock.  From your original post, it was not clear to me that your issue was the same problem--tabs in the multidock.  Maybe it is; maybe not.  Let me find (or create a screenshot) what I believe is the same issue he was talking aboutSec. 

More to follow--but this first one show tabs.  Notice that "Console" is in boldface, but the Markers View is on top of the Console View.  This is a 2020.05 variation of a UI issue that I experienced before 2020.05. Before that IIRC, the Markers View filled the multidock.

So, by "selecting a different tab" I would (for example) click on the Console tab.  Again, I am not sure how you have your Console setup to open.

Sec.

image.thumb.png.e5691b7ee84115527283f9d97d01f5f3.png

It looks like mid-January I was attempting to document the issue so I could report it.  I don't think I ever did--probably got bored and wanted to just do music because it was not a big issue for me on account of having work-arounds that took less time than documenting and reporting the possible bug.  Also, I have an older PC and I tend to assume problems like this are unique to my PC.

I couldn't find an isolated screen shot of the initial problem, but I described it in the empty space of the Track View.

Just imagine that the project opened up and (1) the Console tab was in bold, but (2) the Console View was not visible; instead, (3) the Markers View occupied the entirety of the Multidock. If that's what John had in mind, it predates 2020.05.  My work-around was to just select the Console tab.  If this is not what you are getting, your issue might relate to Workspaces.

Hope this helps.  BTW, the black boxes are where I covered up identifying information (text in the Markers View).

image.thumb.png.b90de86e9787d0672fc45572347bb844.png

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add a second screen shot and details; (1) to a a screen shot

Back to the original issue--no matter how you save projects, they always open with the Console View open. "Is this a feature . . . or a way around this?"     

Since I started using customized Workspaces, I tend to use them.  In the past I would sometimes use Screen Sets, but not recently. Perhaps one of these would work well for you to create customized UIs. 

Personally, I like being able to choose my custom Workspaces, but there's a bit of a learning curve with them.

From what I have read and tested slightly, the "None" Workspace is supposed to open projects with your UI of last usage. If you are using "None" and didn't have the Console View open previously, I am not sure why projects open with it.  Maybe someone with more experience can explain it.  

Edited by User 905133
to add links in online help to (1) Workspaces and (2) Screenssets

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

To clarify, I was referring to John Bradley's comment about the tabs in the multidock.  From your original post, it was not clear to me that your issue was the same problem--tabs in the multidock.  Maybe it is; maybe not.  Let me find (or create a screenshot) what I believe is the same issue he was talking aboutSec. 

More to follow--but this first one show tabs.  Notice that "Console" is in boldface, but the Markers View is on top of the Console View.  This is a 2020.05 variation of a UI issue that I experienced before 2020.05. Before that IIRC, the Markers View filled the multidock.

So, by "selecting a different tab" I would (for example) click on the Console tab.  Again, I am not sure how you have your Console setup to open.

Sec.

image.thumb.png.e5691b7ee84115527283f9d97d01f5f3.png

It looks like mid-January I was attempting to document the issue so I could report it.  I don't think I ever did--probably got bored and wanted to just do music because it was not a big issue for me on account of having work-arounds that took less time than documenting and reporting the possible bug.  Also, I have an older PC and I tend to assume problems like this are unique to my PC.

I couldn't find an isolated screen shot of the initial problem, but I described it in the empty space of the Track View.

Just imagine that the project opened up and (1) the Console tab was in bold, but (2) the Console View was not visible; instead, (3) the Markers View occupied the entirety of the Multidock. If that's what John had in mind, it predates 2020.05.  My work-around was to just select the Console tab.  If this is not what you are getting, your issue might relate to Workspaces.

Hope this helps.  BTW, the black boxes are where I covered up identifying information (text in the Markers View).

image.thumb.png.b90de86e9787d0672fc45572347bb844.png

Thank you. Yours is a very different interface to mine for some reason.

52 minutes ago, brandon said:

Yours is a very different interface to mine for some reason.

Probably due to personal customizations primarily due to (1) my choice of a base theme, (2) personal modifications to the theme using the Theme Editor, (3) personal workflow preferences as reflected in UI layout choices , etc.  My UI customizations for a series of family audio tape interviews I am working on looks very different from my UI customizations for my usb keyboard note entry / staff editing family of projects. 

The screen shots I used (above) were from audio interview projects because that's what I was working on at the time when I had the issue with the tabs.  For some projects I have a full screen Console View on a second monitor.  I enjoy having personal ready-made UIs for different classes of projects. Just personal preferences to help focus on various workflows.