Is it possible to use fewer keys in the piano roll view on Cakewalk?

azabache1993

Question

Hello. I'm a newbie. I was wondering  if it's possible to only use the keys in the piano roll view that  I need. You see, I'm using third party plugins that don't need to use that many keys. They only need a handful of keys. And they do work, it's just that I get confused trying to navigate through all the keys on the piano roll view. There's like a ton of keys I don't need. I only need a few that do actually work when pressed, but they're not outlined or highlighted in anyway. So I have to guess which one is which. I was wondering if it's possible to modify the layout of the piano roll view to fit the few keys I need in the plugin... Does that make sense? I hope it does! I apologize for any inconvenience.

3 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Know what you mean. Limit it to the actual playable range of the instrument and similar scenarios. You could use a drum map, but then you would see something like this

1912915225_Dummydrummap.jpg.cb7308c10286476eb4883499ce1c6e42.jpg

instead of the normal piano keyboard. Not ideal.

Oh, I see, I see... And how do I access the drum  map? Maybe I could use it and stuff. Thanks for the answer, by the way.

You set the output of a MIDI track to Drum Map. But it needs tutorials, it is a messy job. Here is one. Having watched that, what you need to do is this:

1) Create new drum map
2) In the drum map click on New (for new note)
3) Type in the note number for the highest note the instrument plays. Needs to be repeated in the second Column. In the 3rd column you can type a nice name for the note, one that suits you.
4) Keep clicking New until you reach the lowest note the instrument can play.

Good luck. 😀

You can also do a search for "drum map" in YouTube.

• Thanks 1