Creativity / inspiration plugins

Sander Verstraten

Stuff I use:-

Adaptiverb (not just a reverb)

Sandman Pro (not just a delay)

Objeq (great for weirdness)

MGranularMultiBand

Blackhole (nice when parameters automated)

That's just effects.

I still use Absynth a lot

There's more, of course...

Depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve.

• Like 1

Old one, around for ages and on regular sale like here for $29

https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/software/air-music-tech-transfuser-2-groove-creation-instrument/

Air Music Tech Transfuser 2.

I will also fly the flag from a creative perspective for LOOPCLOUD mentioned here in recent threads - monthly sub access to zillions of samples and attached to CW via 3 plugins and a loopcloud app. I have been using it quiet alot in last 2 months and find it fantastic for sparking ideas. There is a months trial with loads of freebies that can be kept for use even if you dont go with monthly sub.

Here is a post on it i added last few days at another thread with screenshots of it in action:

This is a current #StayInspired freebie campaign they have started:

https://www.loopcloud.com/cloud/blog/4644--StayInspired-Free-plugins-courses-and-sounds

• Like 1

Valhalla Delay. Best $50 I've ever spent on a VST.

Also pick up their various freebies (Supermassive, FreqEcho, and Space Modulator).

Also recommend the Blue Cat Audio freebies for their Chorus, Phaser, and Flanger. Good sound, nice ui, lots of presets, and no auth/ilok nonsense.

Iris 2 (currently on sale for $9.99, I believe) is a completely alien synth from the plethora of virtual-analog subtractive synths most of us have got. It gives you something interesting to do with all those GBs of sample libraries you've probably collected.

• Like 1

For sound design, both as a synth and as effects Cherry Audio's voltage modular can really take you in different directions, lots for options and add on but start with the free Nucleus version. https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-modular

And for getting compositions going Orange Tree Samples  Evolution series of guitars is good. Use a preset strumming pattern or create your own and feed it with chords.  https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products

You just missed the group buy but if you do the "Surveys for slices" you can get a discount.

• Thanks 1

Chord Potion

Try taking the chord output of some of the programs named above (Scaler 2, Obelisk, etc) and feed it into Chord Potion.

Ripchord

This is a freebie that is similar to Cthulhu, but is in many ways better.  It does not have Cthulhu's arpeggio function,  but it's chord function is superior.

(And it's output feeding into Chord Potion works great too!)

2 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

For sound design, both as a synth and as effects Cherry Audio's voltage modular can really take you in different directions, lots for options and add on but start with the free Nucleus version. https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-modular

Thanks for the lead!  Just tried the standalone version (free). It is so intuitive! But there are also getting started tutorials.  Plus OpenGL is optional, so it works with my PC!!!  🙂 After VCV/Solo Rack went to OpenGL 2, I was left without a modular soft synth.  This one looks quite nice!!!

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo ("with" --> "without")

3 hours ago, mibby said:

Do a collaboration with someone. 

^^^^^ This. Although there are some times when doing so makes you remember why you just do it yourself now, the plus side is that it can take you places you might not have gone to on your own.

6 hours ago, John Bradley said:

Iris 2 (currently on sale for $9.99, I believe) is a completely alien synth from the plethora of virtual-analog subtractive synths most of us have got. It gives you something interesting to do with all those GBs of sample libraries you've probably collected

Iris is a bargain at that price but it can be a bit of a time waster too. Very easy to get caught up in it and forget what you were trying to do in the first place.

11 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

As it says, I'm looking to expand my arsenal of creativity/ inspiration plugins. I have enough EQs and compressors ( until I fina(ncia)lly take the plunge on the Farbfilter stuff).

Any advise?

I already got:  The EZ instruments, Scaler2, Instachord.

I will focus on sound generation , when inspiration needs help :

xln audio xo 

soundust modular chaos 

looperator 

any granular to start with a texture /color you like from a sample