Guitar string scrubber

Tezza

yeh, I use a guitar rag as well, apparently, with this thing, you can rub it across the strings, not just up and down. It cleans the fret board while getting the gunk out of the strings between the windings.

• Like 1

I dunno... I think it's a gimmick although I would certainly have been drawn into it at some point over the years.

I have found, however, that keeping my hands clean and wiping them regularly with a towel helps more than ever to keep my strings cleaner and brighter for longer. If I feel that the strings do need more attention then I will clean one string at a time and then clean the fret board. 

If I was a gigging guitarist then I would rather change my strings regularly. Probably a set for every guitar per gig. And I wouldn't do that, my guitar tech would.

I tried the Polywebs and the Nanowebs. I found the Polywebs were too slippery for me to play, my fingers had difficulty bending the notes, kept slipping off, also the coating started coming off, a bit messy, and I started to get buzzing/ringing on the strings. I thought the tone was a bit deader than I like. I found they lasted longer than normal strings as they claim, not sure how much longer but I only tried one pack as I didn't like them. I think when I took them off, they were still more or less able to be intonated acceptably.

I thought the Nanowebs were a bit better but were also slippery, the coating didn't seem to come off and they didn't affect the tone as much. Perhaps I play the guitars too hard. Both the acoustic and the electric get a pounding now and then. I kept them on longer but I came to the conclusion that coated strings are not really for me, especially on the acoustic.

They did cut down on the finger squeak a little, which is why I tried them, but only after I had been playing them for a while. I know my sweat is very acidic, when I've played in bands, I've always had more trouble than the other guitarists with burning out strings and other guitar parts, I burnt through 2 bridges on my electric when I was gigging a lot in a heavy metal band. Cleaning hands and wiping down the guitar never seemed to do much. Heat from the stage lights and high energy playing, my guitar was covered in sweat. Phospher Bronze strings on the acoustic turn my finger tips dark green and I can't get rid of the color, have to wait for it to grow out.

I've got some DR strings on at the moment, they are a bit mellower, which is ok for the acoustic, not so much the electric and have lasted ok (im not playing all the time currently) but they probably need to be changed.

Wait...  You're supposed to clean your strings? 🤔

I guess I misunderstood when they said to "play some dirty chords!" 😁

(Side-note:  My experiment with Elixers also ended with the coating coming off.  Let's just say you don't want them for songs that require a pick-slide, ya? 😆)

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

wait, there's moore !

if you order your Yoyo pads now, you get a seconds set for free !  

but that's not all, if you order now you also get a Yoyo magic, apply this to your strings and never break a string again.

Mike, it's amazing...since I'm using Yoyo, my guitar strings just won't break or go out of tune, no matter what I do.

Edited by Sheens
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

I have used one for years and find it pretty good. The main issue is as you get towards the nut it gets a bit tight on the fretboard.

It's not amazing but it does remove debris from the strings.

I also use GHS Fast Fret and if I had to choose between them I would rather keep Fast Fret. 

• Thanks 1

All I've ever needed was a  thin  little cloth rag with some Ronson lighter fluid . I wet the cloth and pinch the string between my fingers as I slide from the nut to the bridge .

This cleans strings great . When the sting is clean it is totally  squeaky clean as in clean plus it squeaks as you slide the rag.

3 hours ago, Gswitz said:

I'm trying some chrome daddario strings.

Definitely different.

I like Chromes on my Jazz boxes ...+ my Jaguar ...they last a long time ( for me ) years....

2 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

"I firmly believe you should change the strings on your bass every ten years, whether it needs doing or not"

~ 57Gregy

I happen to love  James Jamerson , So I use flat wounds on my (only)  Bass .

I changed my Bass strings once after 10 years .It ruined the sound of my Bass and it took my tone and sent it straight  to the crapper ...

That was in 2001 , I haven't changed them since ...and wouldn't you know it  ? my tone came back  .

Now if I had a couple of basses like I used to have in the 80's  I would probably have one set up with round wounds  ...

Kenny

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gswitz said:

I'm trying some chrome daddario strings.

Definitely different.

5 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

I like Chromes on my Jazz boxes ...+ my Jaguar ...they last a long time ( for me ) years....

When you guys refer to chromes, do you mean the flatwound ones?

21 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

"I firmly believe you should change the strings on your bass every ten years, whether it needs doing or not"

~ 57Gregy

Hey! An honourable mention!
Edit to read "twenty years", please. 😆

• Haha 2