Sound Center clicking

Having upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 I've tried to use the instruments in Sound Center but there's lots of clicking. Tried every thing I know, buffer size etc. but even when the buffer is as high as possible it still clicks occasionally and of course there is too much latency when recording. I've been using Sonar, now Cakewalk for years but never had these kinds of problems before so a bit inexperienced at fixing them, it has always run smoothly. I'm using a Scarlett 18i20 1st generation in case that might be part of the problem. Can anyone help? Thanks

I understand that Sound Center was an old 32-bit synth that was later replaced by 64-bit Rapture, so depending on what license(s) you own, if you go the canonical route of installing the latest version of SONAR you paid for, then installing the newest version of Cakewalk by BandLab, you should end up with a version of Rapture (either Session or Pro) that will play your Sound Center content without incurring the overhead of the 32-bit wrapper.

(I don't have firsthand knowledge of this process, as I am new to Cakewalk as of BandLab's tenure, but I pay attention on the forums and have a good memory for issues I've read about. Also good Google-Fu.)

Check this out:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Can-Cakewalk-Sound-Center-be-used-with-other-DAWs-m3709641.aspx

• Great Idea 1

19 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I understand that Sound Center was an old 32-bit synth that was later replaced by 64-bit Rapture, so depending on what license(s) you own, if you go the canonical route of installing the latest version of SONAR you paid for, then installing the newest version of Cakewalk by BandLab, you should end up with a version of Rapture (either Session or Pro) that will play your Sound Center content without incurring the overhead of the 32-bit wrapper.

Check this out:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Can-Cakewalk-Sound-Center-be-used-with-other-DAWs-m3709641.aspx

I believe Rapture Session was included to replace the aging Sound Center...

Yes, Rapture Session was a Cakewalk Sound Center, Dimension Pro and Rapture player.

For it to play these synths' programs, the plug-in needed to be installed after the legacy synths. The install process scanned for the legacy synths and copied their programs into the Rapture Pro/Session program folder.

Of course, this does not help anyone with an X series or older version of SONAR, Music Creator or other Cakewalk DAW; BandLab has yet to release their version of Rapture Pro/Session.

36 minutes ago, scook said:

this does not help anyone with an X series or older version of SONAR, Music Creator or other Cakewalk DAW; BandLab has yet to release their version of Rapture Pro/Session

So what the OP should try, if he has access, is install a version of SONAR that has Rapture or just use Rapture if he already has it?

In a pinch, if he has a Cakewalk, Inc. login, I believe it may still be possible to obtain the free version of SONAR Home Studio that was given away as magware (Computer Music, I think) a few years back. I did so myself about a year ago; believe it or not my sole aim was to get my hands on the 2,000 page pdf SONAR manual.

However, in the process I also got a nice handful of useful plug-ins, the Project5 DXi processors and Rapture Session. Which of course work a treat in modern day Cakewalk.

If a user has access to a version of SONAR that includes Rapture Session, the installer for Rapture Session is separate and available though Cakewalk Command Center. The installer needs to run after Cakewalk Sound Center. If Rapture Session has already been installed before CSC, it should be uninstalled and reinstalled (or rolled back and forward) so the installer can copy the CSC programs.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 10:58 PM, Starship Krupa said:

So what the OP should try, if he has access, is install a version of SONAR that has Rapture or just use Rapture if he already has it?

In a pinch, if he has a Cakewalk, Inc. login, I believe it may still be possible to obtain the free version of SONAR Home Studio that was given away as magware (Computer Music, I think) a few years back. I did so myself about a year ago; believe it or not my sole aim was to get my hands on the 2,000 page pdf SONAR manual.

However, in the process I also got a nice handful of useful plug-ins, the Project5 DXi processors and Rapture Session. Which of course work a treat in modern day Cakewalk.

Just to be clear, Rapture and Rapture Session/Pro are completely different products. The fist Rapture (classic) was available in Sonar 7 thru X1 as an LE version (the full version was available for sale as a standalone), and then the full version was bundled with X2 thru Platinum.

Rapture Pro was a completely reworked product that combined Dimension Pro and Rapture. It was never bundled with Sonar, but the Rapture Session was. Session was intended to be a step up freebie that would import your Dimension Pro, Rapture (classic), and Sound Center presets. Session is still a nice player/librarian for those sounds.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments so far. Seems I have to give up on Sound centre but true pianos, lounge lizard and rapture all appear to be ok. The ongoing problem I have is that other VSTs I've downloaded all continue to click, no matter what buffer size. CPU usage is low, my hard drive is only half full and I'm not running lots of complex tracks at the moment.  The VSTs I've downloaded so far have been 32 bit. Should I have downloaded the 64s? Virus protection isn't running in the background either btw. Didn't have this problem before the windows 10 upgrade.

I would stay away from 32-bit plugins as much as possible. Especially ones that are no longer maintained or supported.

When they quit working properly on a modern computer, then it's time to move on and find a replacement.

Since BandLab has not been selling the former Cakewalk plugins yet, 3rd party options are the best bet for now.

I'll just throw this deal out there... buy any plugin at Plugin Boutique and get this Reason Rack Lite plugin for FREE with any purchase! 

Plugin Boutique is currently  selling iZoptope Iris 2 for $10. Just saying... https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/4-Synth/1303-Iris-2

Or get  AIR Xpand!2 for $14.99, an all around ROMpler with 2400+ instrument sounds. https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/64-Virtual-Instrument/1560-Xpand-2

So for $25 you get a spectral filtering sampler with 10GB of extra sample content,  and a ROMpler, plus the Reason Rack Lite plugin. 😁

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, John Ward said:

The VSTs I've downloaded so far have been 32 bit. Should I have downloaded the 64s?

Yes, yes, 1000X yes. From this point forward, if I were you I would check to make sure that any plug-ins you acquire are in the 64-bit format. And don't start any projects using old 32-bit plug-ins.

BTW, re-reading this thread, I love the "Who's On First" bit that I play the Lou Costello role in with scook and others taking the Bud Abbott part.