Presonus is up to something

Sander Verstraten

As someone who knows nothing about music notation and doesn’t play live, this update doesn’t excite me. Studio One Pro has been my go to DAW since Sonar went the way it did almost three years ago. It’s funny, I kind of expected PreSonus to tempt me with some features I didn’t realise I wanted or needed, but it’s not happened this time. Generally I like to have bang up to date software for my DAW of choice, but very happy to wait for a sale to upgrade this time. The price to upgrade SO Pro is similar to the upgrade from Melodyne Studio 4.x to 5, and I think I’ll get more from that. But that’s just what suits me, the way I make music and the tools I like to achieve it. 

34 minutes ago, Mark B said:

Does anyone know if you buy one of their Audio interfaces such as the 24c whether you'd get Artist 4 or Artist 5 please ?

And am I right in thinking Artist 5 now has built in VST support ?

Many thanks

Yep that's what official reviews were saying :) And  this is huge  :)

1 hour ago, Piotr said:

Yep that's what official reviews were saying :) And  this is huge  :)

VST support in Artist? - That is interesting indeed.  I remember that being a bugbare when I looked at S1 a while back. I would like to see a versions chart with features side by side.

If, and its a big if I do decide to add Studio One to my tools it will probably be the Sphere subscription, it will take two years of subscriptions to reach the crossgrade purchase price of Pro with the option to cancel if I am really not getting on with it.  Artist may be tempting if it now supports VSTs, its around the same price as the Cubase 9.5 to 10.5 upgrade

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ensconced said:

@Zo Not sure but this was posted by a Win7 user

file.php?id=13905&t=1

and another dude posted this

They must be using some kb that are not present in win 7 but usually win 8 has the sale oackage as 10 ...anyway i ain t touching the system for now . 

19 minutes ago, Zo said:

So by doung that , do you lose the qbility to use v4 ? 

I am able to run v4 and v5 on my machine so it appears that the upgrade does not replace the previous version.

I loaded a big project in v5 and it ran just fine. I need to dig because nothing obvious has changed...

No problems downloading here. The system was pretty efficient at taking my money too.

As for the new performance page,the performance features are probably mostly wasted on me. though I was recently in a position to use performance features in a live setting, we mostly decided to simply play live music. I had good intentions with Ableton to do similar. We had enough musicians so we simply played real live music  ;)using a DAW for live work...so far that hasn't panned. The performance features are probably mostly wasted on me.

What I DO really like is the notation features. I have musicians who want to play some of my music and ask for notation. I can read notation in treble clef but mostly play using the key and maybe some chord charts. I had Notion but didn't use it much. I like that you can alternate between midi and notation...in a recent piano work I noticed some quirky stuff ...like triplets and 5"lets"  that seemed out of place. This might have been a rule of some kind I can over ride. Overall though I am really impressed with this integration.

They seem to have revised the effects adding side chain. It's beginning to feel like a waves collection to me. The effects are nicely done. I was never too impressed with their synths and drums.....Mix scene saves..... meh. Cakewalk has had that for years.  The program is fairly stable compared to some of my other DAWs.  I just lost 2 hours of work in another DAW...so stability is important.

Overall a general thumbs up for version 5 for me!

25 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Rumor has it AD and Jrr are not allowed to discount S5.  Can anyone verify?

I thought JRR had the group discount code to make it ~$125 instead of $150 direct from Presonus Shop.

• Like 1

Can't even get on jrr site the past 24 hrs or so.  Keep getting this error msg     Have I been singled out or is it same for everyone?

There has been an error processing your request

SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Connection refused

54 minutes ago, bjornpdx said:

Can't even get on jrr site the past 24 hrs or so.  Keep getting this error msg     Have I been singled out or is it same for everyone?

There has been an error processing your request

SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Connection refused

I am as well. Tried about 6 hours ago and again just now, same error.