Presonus is up to something

Sander Verstraten

12 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I tried Studio One at the time of the Gibson debacle but did not care for it, particularly the MIDI functions (I use MIDI the most)...

Didn't see a word on MIDI mentioned anywhere regarding the new Studio One 5. I'm too producing in MIDI mainly and need my DAW to deliver the best in that department so I'm focused only on Cubase as a second DAW in addition to Cakewalk. SO is a nice looking and easy to use DAW but for people like us Cakewalk or Cubase seem to be the best route.

Edited by chris.r

1 minute ago, chris.r said:

Didn't see a word on MIDI mentioned anywhere regarding the new Studio One 5. I'm too producing in MIDI so I'm focused on Cubase only as a second DAW. SO is a nice looking and easy to use DAW but for people like us Cakewalk or Cubase are the best route.

They are essentially adding expression mapping in a way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TerraSin said:

In the case of Presonus, a key is a key. I upgraded to 4 that way from 3 by just holding onto the key before I registered it. :)

That was decidedly not the case with the code I received in the Xchange Producer bundle, FWIW.

9 minutes ago, Anxiousmofo said:

No; I did the 4.5 update later.  It registered with Presonus as v2.

Hmm, well I'll give it a try and see what happens. If nothing, then I'll sell the account off. No biggie. That was the plan originally anyway.

38 minutes ago, mibby said:

I think you might already qualify for the Melodyne upgrade. Log in to Celemony and check your account. My v5 was waiting last week when I checked.  Not sure if it was from Presonus or Izotope though.  Worth checking!

Nope, not on mine. Probably because I have Studio version. I think it’s only Essentials that gives you the update. Annoying  since they are giving away the same new functions to Essentials that they are charging the Studio owners $150 for. Even more annoying because they wipe out the Essentials license when you upgrade to Studio.

• Like 2

Presonus Sphere looks like it's not just a subscription - there are also collaborative features as well (shared project spaces/chat [if I understand correctly]).

I don't mind if they introduce a subscription option, as long as they also offer perpetual licenses at the same prices (which they still do).

1 hour ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I have been faffing about wondering if I should update Cubase fro 9.5 to 10.5 on the current deal (or possibly 11 if delaying the activation works the way people say it does).  I tried Studio One at the time of the Gibson debacle but did not care for it, particularly the MIDI functions (I use MIDI the most). I am sure its come on leaps and bounds since then.

I seldom use Cubase and much of it remains a mystery and I have kept using Cakewalk  almost exclusively but I have the feeling I should learn another DAW in case there is a Bandlab debacle in the future, now I am wondering if I should look at Studio One again before deciding on a Cubase upgrade.

Coming from Cakewalk, I find Studio One easier to use.  That said, I still use ProTools the most and Cubase second (only because of the chord track - I love the chord track)  But I can sit down with Studio One and write something faster than with Cubase.  I really need to figure out how to get the Studio One version of chord track to work - as in watching the videos at the same time I am at the computer.  It isn't as good as Cubase, but doing midi in Studio One is easier for me than Cubase, if that makes sense.  

When I try to register my key, I get a message saying I need to enter the key for the product I'm upgrading. Yet, there is nowhere to enter that key and I'm already doing it from within my.account where my SOP4 code already lives.

EDIT: Looks like the server is down and they're working to get it back up and running.

photo-1519994083223-e72116e38b7e.jpg

Edited by RSMcGuitar
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

When I try to register my key, I get a message saying I need to enter the key for the product I'm upgrading. Yet, there is nowhere to enter that key and I'm already doing it from within my.account where my SOP4 code already lives.

Same here, although I noticed I had an Artist license in my account in addition to the Pro. Wonder if that's what the problem is. But, like you say, no form is provided to answer the prompt.

49 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

EDIT: Looks like the server is down and they're working to get it back up and running.

I hope Sphere works out better than this launch (not that I'm going into that ecosphere, no pun in 10 did).

Edited by Bapu