Thoughts on Scan UK PC maker

Hi All, 

I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience, owns, knows someone who does, a Scan made PC (Here in the UK). I see Dr Mix has one of the high end ones made specifically for him. After agonising over getting the new Mac Pro or not. I am settling into the idea of going PC again, BUT, I really do want one that I can rely on. I do also want to be able to dual purpose it, two different accounts, one for music, other for my gaming. I've seen newer video cards that don't run the fan for example unless it reaches over 50C, which wouldn't happen in the DAW of course.

This is the spec I am considering.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/shared/074355b2-3b5a-49d3-ac4e-673240aca375?utm_source=3xsconfigshare&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=copypaste

Cheers,

Tony

Tony, I have a Scan 3XS laptop - coming on for three years old and still rocking. They are very solid machines and although I had some initial problems with mine (it would randomly BSOD) the after sales was superb. Eventually turns out the BSOD is caused by my ancient sound card which needs upgrading; I've learned to live with it and it happens only rarely these days. 😂

I would go to Scan again when I replace this, I had custom desktops before but this has proved to be a very good machine. Couple of minor crits, the fan can sometimes be a little on the noisy side but I suspect cooling has come on since I bought this and the battery life on mine is not spectacular but I  almost always use it on mains.

Hope that helps

Andy

Edited by AndyB01

I have a Gen1 Focusrite 2i4 (better since a new driver was released) and I run CbB, S1Pro and a bunch of VSTs/ FX including Melodyne 5, EzKeys, EzDrummer, EzBass, Pianoteq, GarritanIO and Izotope Elements to name a few and it seems to cope with all these with ease. My input devices are a Roland A88 v1 and a couple of guitars, DI'd through the sound card.

The other big plus with Scan stuff, it doesn't come preloaded with bloatware. 👍

Entirely up to you of course but in my experience, you could certainly do worse.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...