Save 40% on Cubase updates and upgrades

ZincT

I understand Cubase 10.5 is like a completely different DAW to Cubase 10 as far as install and license is concerned. You cannot just update your version of Cubase 10. It uses a different license and you have to download the whole thing and can run it alongside Cubase 10. Exactly what I do not want to do. Just want one Cubase on my system.

Same for me. I still have a few DAWs to choose from although Cakewalk is my first choice. I watched an SWA course on Cubase a while back and then didn't use it for a few months after doing the course 🤔. Although I keep seeing features which make we want to try it again (e.g. automatically make harmony vocals from a single vocal track).

Edited by ZincT

28 minutes ago, Tezza said:

I understand Cubase 10.5 is like a completely different DAW to Cubase 10 as far as install and license is concerned. You cannot just update your version of Cubase 10. It uses a different license and you have to download the whole thing and can run it alongside Cubase 10. Exactly what I do not want to do. Just want one Cubase on my system.

Wasn't aware of that, where did you find that out?

11 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Wow, this is useful to know. I am on Cubase 10 and i think it does all i would ever need. But this upgrade price is super tempting.

I like Chris's videos, I will have to watch this one and decide whether to upgarde:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZincT said:

That's what I understood from the Steinberg forum when I asked there. I thought it would just be a simple update. Apparently, you can download the update alone (about 1.6gig) but when you run it, it doesn't update Cubase 10, instead, it creates a new 10.5 alongside 10 and requires a separate license on the dongle. This has led to some unpredictable results from what I have read. I resigned myself to downloading the whole thing and installing after first deleting the old Cubase.  But that is another whopping 30 something gigs which I cannot download on my connection. I did find out today though that the local Library is back to full functioning with social distancing so I can do it there now.

It was about a month ago I asked on the forum and that was the conclusion I came to. I think it's right but the conversation was a bit confusing as I remember. I just thought a clean install would be better, I hate having multiple versions of things on the system. I might check again before I do it. I hope it doesn't require 10 to be on there in order to run being an update.

• Thanks 1

This is the way Cubase has always been.  You have always been able to run multiple versions alongside of each other.   You have the choice.  It is not a separate license.

Edited by husker

17 minutes ago, husker said:

This is the way Cubase has always been.  You have always been able to run multiple versions alongside of each other.   You have the choice.  It is not a separate license.

It was the separate license thing that worried me. As long as it's the same process as when I went from 9 to 9.5 then it doesn't bother me.

32 minutes ago, husker said:

My choice would be for it to just update the current installation like the patch updates, which isn't a choice. Have you done the upgrade from 10 to 10.5? I heard people were sent out a new license or is it a serial number that is sent out? I only got Cubase 10 so I've never done a 0.5 update.

Its the same process for any upgrade - .5 or otherwise.  It defaults to a separate install.  A license is a license - if you have  Pro license for 10.5, you can run 10.5, 10., 9.5, 9, etc.  Whatever you want.  

3 minutes ago, husker said:

Its the same process for any upgrade - .5 or otherwise.  It defaults to a separate install.  A license is a license - if you have  Pro license for 10.5, you can run 10.5, 10., 9.5, 9, etc.  Whatever you want.  

Sorry, I don't understand. The patch updates do not install a separate version, they just update the existing one. Is that because they are "updates" as opposed to "upgrades" which are paid point releases. I don't know what you mean by "a license is a license". I have a license for Cubase 10, so your saying that the 10.5 version does not require a new license but will run off the Cubase 10 license, is that the way it works?

1 hour ago, Mark Stow said:

I like Chris's videos, I will have to watch this one and decide whether to upgarde:

wow, I watched the video, the first new feature in cubase 10.5 talked here, "combined selection tool" - something like a subset of our smart tool which we have in cakewalk for ages already, really took them loooong time to make it :D... but already liked the second new, sort of ProQ, feature

otoh I like the video handling in cubase, does the Elements verion have video handling as well? that would be a good thing

Edited by chris.r

Thanks, I think I understand now, I said a "new" license was required, you said a "separate" license is not required. With the payment for the upgrade, I will get a new license for 10.5 and that will be backwards compatible with 10 or my current license gets upgraded to incorporate 10.5 maybe still not sure, never mind.

I just learned that I can install 10.5 together with 10 and then uninstall 10 afterwards, which means I only need to download the 1.6 gig file, transfer it to DAW install it, see how 10.5 runs and then uninstall 10 later.

Cubase licensing always confuses me, I guess when I've been through the point upgrade, I will join the elite club that knows how it works. Hopefully, I can just transfer the license to my dongle on my offline DAW and that will be the end of it. I started off with Cubase elements which I put on the laptop, the generated activation codes and soft elicensing process I couldn't understand at first, eventually got there but then it suddenly came up with a license problem and I couldn't fix it, cannot put in a support ticket because that online process is not available to me in Australia, no response from forum, eventually I found out on the Steinberg website I had to go through a different route, contacting local people but that got confused because the elicense had been deleted off the laptop. In the end I just got sick of it so dumped elements and put Mixcraft on the laptop instead.

Wanted to put Cakewalk on the laptop but it is too cluttered, then wanted to put Cubase Pro on but the laptop does all sorts of recording, in the field sounds and monitoring video chats etc, don't want to be wandering around a forest or set with a dongle hanging out my laptop. Then tried Studio One V3 which I also own but it doesn't like me switching around from interface to internal etc and gets confused with the video function. Put Mixcraft on and all problems vanished, it just works for everything I do with the laptop and plenty of room on the screen.