Old Man Arvin in collaboration with Lynn

bjornpdx

There is something about this song I really like. I cant put my finger on it because it sounds like there is a timing problem within the verses. but it all fits together nice. Very experimental (especially in the vocals/background overlaying vox track), I personally love that.

That guitar work is great. the bending parts in (the intro and before the verses). Thanks for the listen.

• Like 1

Hey, Bjorn and Lynn,

Very cool collaboration, guys!👍

Great "storytelling" style writing, clever lyrics and a nice clean, modern sounding mix! Excellent instrumental performances, and Lynn's vocals were fantastic and perfect for the song!

I think you guys invented a whole new musical genre, "Country-Electronica"!😀

Top notch work, guys, really good stuff!🙂

Have a great weekend!
Bob

• Like 2

Bjorn asked me to fill in for him while he's off on a photographic adventure in Uganda.  (really)

My thanks to all for responding.

Chuck, thanks for noticing the vocal overlay that Bjorn did over my lead.  I wasn't sure if it could be heard.  As for the timing, it turned polyrhythmic by accident and was left in.  I was experimenting with a newl, free vst synth-Surge- and liked the preset that runs throughout the song.  It made 6//8 overlay a 4/4 rhythm.  The bending guitar is a pedal steel sample from Rapture Pro run through TH3 amp sim.  One of my favorites.

Tom, Bjorn's lyrics fuel this song and inspired me to sing it that way.  His doubling of me in the choruses is very Dylanish, and he really nailed it.

Bob, it's good to hear from you, and I'm always happy to hear your side of the story.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Gary, I told Bjorn after I got his demo that I could hear an electronic version of this right away, and he kindly let me experiment with my new toy.  It somehow just worked in a quirky, yet traditional way.  All in all, Bjorn gave birth to this song, and it took on a life of its own.   This song could have easily been presented in a more traditional way, and maybe should have been, but I left my boundaries at the door with this.

And.....breathe. 

Wow there's a lot of words to sing there. Great stuff both of you. Story draws you in and the music and performances are great. 

Can't comment on the mix right now as I'm out and about listening on my phone.  I'll have another listen later. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for listening and commenting. As Lynn mentioned, I was in Uganda taking pictures of wildlife so he graciously stepped in to field comments on the song. So I'm back and totally jet-lagged but thinking now of making a video with an African themed soundtrack.   I heard a few local performance groups there which gave me an idea of how to do the soundtrack so I'll give it a shot.

I like this tune.  Lynn's vocals are nice and rich and the instrumentation is a unique combination for a tune like this (as mentioned above "electronic country".  Small timing issues at the beginning but no biggie.  Love the ending!

😀John B.

Thanks for your kind words.  I guess the timing issues show that no self-respecting robot would ever do this.  However, when I get a few minutes, I'll revisit the whole song and put it under the microscope and see if I can tighten this up.  Thanks for your help!

On 2/23/2019 at 2:46 AM, Bob Oister said:

I think you guys invented a whole new musical genre, "Country-Electronica"!😀

Bob, you beat me to it!  Perfect description.   I really liked this song.  Very fun!!  Thanks for posting!