Reason Rack Plugin FREE!!! @ Pluginboutigue

Lemar Sain

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Hey, whoo, bumpity-doo, I finally found something cheap that I didn't already have a license for:

W.A. Productions come through again, this time with Imprint, a 3-band Transient Shaper for $5:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/36-Transient-Shaper/5450-Imprint

I haven't had much time to mess with it, but it has an attractive GUI, kind of similar to SoundSpot Axis multiband compressor. The bands are adjustable, making it the most flexible transient shaper in my collection except for LVC's Transector.

Reason Lite? I couldn't even figure out how to get sound to come out of the standalone version, I had to load it as a track effect on an audio track in CbB before I could be suitably impressed by the "2005 called and wants its freeware back" sounds of the subtractive synth, ROMPler, and multieffect unit. If the idea of this promo is to draw users in with how amazing Reason is....well, shoot, I really wanted to like it. Maybe it just totally has the best workflow for making beats, but since I couldn't figure out the workflow for making sound come out of it it's starting on the back foot with me. I won't give up just yet.

I had been intending to finally get a license for Trackspacer, but, uh, spaced on the expiration date for the $39 sale, so when I went to check out at Pluginboutique, it was back up to $59. By which time I had already fallen in love with it.

I shot on over to Wavesfactory's own website in the hope that their web developers might not yet have committed the changes, and yep, $39. Whew! But first my debit card was rejected when I know there's plenty in the account, then it said my PayPal payment couldn't be completed, but it also spit out a valid license for Trackspacer....haven't checked yet to see what went through and what did not. 🤪

The terms and conditions on the trial of Imprint state it is only a license for one single machine.  This is unusual as my other WA Productions purchases do not have this limitation in practice.  Any chance you can confirm /deny if this is actually the case?

Anwered my own question, does install on 2 machines.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

I ended up with Iris 2. Concerning the Reason lite freebee....I downloaded it and have it installed. It's a leader from them in the hopes you'll buy their upgraded versions of the product in the future. Reason Lite isn't something I would normally play with. Maybe the full version.Has some nice drums and bass in those modules, so I can see a future use for that.

Mainly though....I'm on their email list for a good deal on their full version.  I like the Reason refills. As I understand it Rewire will soon be obsolete. Never made much use of it anyways. So REASON, I'm watching my email :) 

For those who commented on finding a good vocoder....aside from Waves offering,  SONiVox is a little deep for a "vocoder" Not as easy as playing a key and hearing yourself sound like a robot. If you can get around it though, it's ok for lotsa stuff.  I realized my many of my Mixcraft plugins scan and work in CbB. They have a decent  vocoder.  Just sayin', You get a decent plug in suite for that price...and a second ( or third) DAW.

I got the Reason Rack Lite as part of this deal.  I got it for the Midi Out feature.  The Midi Out works very well with Cakewalk CnB; CnB shows the correct midi out channel from the Reason RackLite Midi Out.  You can change the midi channel on the Reason Rack Lite's Midi Out and you can select that midi channel in CnB and it works well.  If I loaded several different midi outs on Reason Rack, all of the midi outs show and work correctly with CnB.

However, I could not get Reason Rack Lite to work this well in Cubase 10 or Studio One 4.5.   In both Cubase and Studio One I could get Reason Rack to send out midi, but neither Cubase nor Studio One would show the Reason Rack's Midi Out CHANNELS.  There was just a one single generic output.  Yes, I could get midi out of the Rack, but only one channel, and there was no way of selecting the midi channel.  I had to load multiple instances of Reason Rack Lite to get separate midi outs (and still not able to select the channel in Cubase or SO4.5)

Just so you know, I tried LoopMidi and LoopBe1 with Cubase and Studio One to see if there was a problem, but both midi products worked correctly and both Cubase and Studio One would show all 16 midi channels available.  

Maybe I just have something wrong.  I can get Reason Rack Lite's Midi Out to work correctly in CnB, but the results with Cubase 10 and Studio One 4.5 are minimal.  Yes it works, but with less than optimal results.  BTW, I googled this and found that others have reported the same problem with Cubase.

Perhaps others might want to report their experiences with this.   If someone has been able to get Reason Rack Lite's Midi to work with all the midi channels available in Cubase or SO4.5, I would like to hear their results.

C2

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Starise said:

SONiVox is a little deep for a "vocoder" Not as easy as playing a key and hearing yourself sound like a robot. If you can get around it though, it's ok for lotsa stuff.  I realized my many of my Mixcraft plugins scan and work in CbB. They have a decent  vocoder.  Just sayin', You get a decent plug in suite for that price...and a second ( or third) DAW.

I wound up using TAL Vocoder II with its internal synth as the carrier. The Sonivox, wow, the more that I think of it, there's no excuse for shipping a plug-in of that complexity with no user manual, no matter how many video tutorials are out there. I just wanted a quick off-the-shelf vocoder effect, not to have to reverse engineer an alien spacecraft. And to do a vocoder-esque effect that doesn't have a basic "Autobahn" or Tupac "California" preset? Also, it didn't allow feeding it an external signal as a carrier. Just not for me. I'll figure out the routing in CbB to do the external carrier with TAL Vocoder next time. The SONIVOX probably has its uses for other things, but IMO, it falls short at "basic vocoder sounds."

The Mixcraft vocoder is great, and it loads in Cakewalk, but apparently it doesn't expose its sidechain in a way that CbB can Send to it. Not that I could figure out, anyway. And yes, nice collection of plug-ins with Mixcraft, especially the Pro Studio suite, which has Melodyne Essential, and Pianissimo, a nice low-resource hybrid grand. Their GM player also works in CbB and has some good-sounding instruments.

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I wound up using TAL Vocoder II with its internal synth as the carrier. The Sonivox, wow, the more that I think of it, there's no excuse for shipping a plug-in of that complexity with no user manual, no matter how many video tutorials are out there. I just wanted a quick off-the-shelf vocoder effect, not to have to reverse engineer an alien spacecraft. And to do a vocoder-esque effect that doesn't have a basic "Autobahn" or Tupac "California" preset? Also, it didn't allow feeding it an external signal as a carrier. Just not for me. I'll figure out the routing in CbB to do the external carrier with TAL Vocoder next time. The SONIVOX probably has its uses for other things, but IMO, it falls short at "basic vocoder sounds."

The Mixcraft vocoder is great, and it loads in Cakewalk, but apparently it doesn't expose its sidechain in a way that CbB can Send to it. Not that I could figure out, anyway. And yes, nice collection of plug-ins with Mixcraft, especially the Pro Studio suite, which has Melodyne Essential, and Pianissimo, a nice low-resource hybrid grand. Their GM player also works in CbB and has some good-sounding instruments.

Glad you found something that worked for you. Many of the plugins in MX9 load into CbB. The synths do too and they have a decent line up of those including a sampler. Not many DAWs allow cross pollination like that including CbB. Some of the stuff is dated but not all of it. Not trying to sell their vocoder as the only reason to buy it, but for a DAW that is in the 100.00 range as compared to many others that start at 399.00 it isn't too shabby. Reminds me of the way Platinum once came all loaded up with additional programs. It's a lot for the  $$ IMHO.

This video was helpful to me for Vocalizer Pro. It is a little "different" than traditional vocoders. but to me that's the beauty of the plug in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, watched the video with good ol' Jason there, I only wish that whatever crisis befell the company, that he could have stayed around long enough to finish a manual for Vocalizer Pro. And no, I have no personal knowledge, but I've worked at companies like that. As soon as all the code was in a state where it wasn't crashing, they canned everyone and sold the brand.

He seems like a nice enough bloke, and sharp, and I'm sure he hit the ground running.

Hmm, curiosity got the best of me, looks like he did. Wow, worked at SONIVOX for 11 years before their Death Star blew up, that's an eternity in the software or MI world:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonrjordan

And I was right, looks like he left right around the time that Vocalizer Pro shipped. He says that he worked on Tony Colman Drums and that's one of the last new ones I remember coming out of SONIVOX.

I guess there's a cluster of music software companies around Boston due to the Berklee/MIT convergence?

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yeah, watched the video with good ol' Jason there, I only wish that whatever crisis befell the company, that he could have stayed around long enough to finish a manual for Vocalizer Pro. And no, I have no personal knowledge, but I've worked at companies like that. As soon as all the code was in a state where it wasn't crashing, they canned everyone and sold the brand.

He seems like a nice enough bloke, and sharp, and I'm sure he hit the ground running.

Hmm, curiosity got the best of me, looks like he did. Wow, worked at SONIVOX for 11 years before their Death Star blew up, that's an eternity in the software or MI world:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonrjordan

And I was right, looks like he left right around the time that Vocalizer Pro shipped. He says that he worked on Tony Colman Drums and that's one of the last new ones I remember coming out of SONIVOX.

I guess there's a cluster of music software companies around Boston due to the Berklee/MIT convergence?

I had no idea there was a shakeup at SONiVOX???? Thanks for that info. Jason looks like a real knowledgeable dude who probably helped to create a bunch of their libraries ( from looking at his info). 

I have a bunch of SONiVOX orchestral libraries which I was impressed with for the price and functionality. I'll admit I was wondering why their web page wasn't connecting to the audio examples for that last deal I posted. They need to update their web page at the very least.  I found some examples on YouTube. 

Back to Reason-  There's a person I know who is getting HUGE play counts on SC ( compared to most there) and she uses Reason as her main DAW. She makes decent music in her genre. I guess that part had me slightly curious. In the end it probably has more to do with talent than her DAW.  I have wondered if the DAW gave her some kind of an edge though.

16 minutes ago, Starise said:

Back to Reason-  There's a person I know who is getting HUGE play counts on SC ( compared to most there) and she uses Reason as her main DAW. She makes decent music in her genre. I guess that part had me slightly curious. In the end it probably has more to do with talent than her DAW.  I have wondered if the DAW gave her some kind of an edge though.

Talent. The best DAW is the one you know.

I have looked at the Reason DAW in the past and I never saw any reason to learn yet another DAW. But the rack and rack instruments made it special, with an edge.

Now I am glad that they are doing away with ReWire, and making the rack available as a plugin. 😁

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Starise said:

The Beatles recorded some of the most popular songs of all time on a 4-track tape machine.

The DAW one chooses is irrelevant.

1 minute ago, Brian Walton said:

The Beatles recorded some of the most popular songs of all time on a 4-track tape machine.

The DAW one chooses is irrelevant.

I think the tools are important. I also agree. She had a really cool arpeggio thing going on with a harp that sounded real. The reverbs were just the right kind of slathery. Rhythms seem to be easy in that DAW since it has those tools that lend themselves well to it IMHO. Yes I'm sure I could do it in CbB ( or any other DAW) with the right workflow. I don't have her way of making music though, so yeah....my tunes wouldn't sound like her tunes.

The Beatles were good looking too ( to girls...and maybe a few others) and I think they could have recorded on a  victorola and done well :) I think more than anything, I was curious how the DAW works in more detail.  If you can add elements to a tempo and have it sound organic, I think that's a big plus......but I don't really know because I haven't used it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Unless one isn’t a Beatle 😉

Just used them as an example as everyone knows them and were in the 4-track days.

Real point being basically every daw these days provides tools to record and manipulate sound (and use midi for those that are not recording traditional audio).

Anyone with talent can create quality music with any of them (including entry level apps like Garage band).  Some DAWs do have tools that help those with less talent make something passable (Chord track tools, comes to mind).  But with Apps like Scaler, the DAW itself then again becomes irrelevant, since it can be used with any of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starise said:

The Beatles were good looking too ( to girls...and maybe a few others) and I think they could have recorded on a  victorola and done well :) 

I'm actually not a fan , but they could have recorded on any medium and done well becuase frankly the tunes and melodies hold up and are very memorable.  (i.e. talent)

There have been plenty of reports of the poplulatiry they had even in non- English speaking 3rd world countries, that had no knowledge of them other than a cassette tape  that was donated (i.e. a format that has nothing to do with physical apperence).