Bandlab - Introducing Albums

TracingArcs

3 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Unfortunately, they only process tip payments through Stripe, which I don't have. Maybe that will change and I would be able to enter my paypal info for tip payments.

Seems strange, I looked them up expecting to see better rates or some advantage over Paypal in that area for the person receiving the payment, but the terms don't look any better.  In fact, it looks like anyone opening a dispute about a charge will also hit the seller with a $15 dispute fee.  

Hope they get paypal added.  

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 1:09 PM, Brian Walton said:

And good music too!

Only question is on that page I don't see how it is setup to actually aquire the music other than to search for it on another platform.  

Yes, I was reading the thread while enjoying the jazz and thinking "Uhh, on Bandcamp I can usually buy the album for $10 and have it in FLAC form, so if I wanted to buy one or all of Hidden's songs, how would I do it here...."

So it's more like Soundcloud, I guess?

I see Bandcamp as a listening/sales/promotion platform that does pretty well at all 3. You can follow artists and labels, they can send out messages to the people who follow them to let them know about releases and tour dates, etc. Tracks are usually available in FLAC and WAV, and when listening to my music collection through their app, their CODEC sounds really good. The purchasing process gives the buyer warm fuzzies, with encouragement to leave a note to the artist (which I have done and gotten at least one very nice reply).

It looks like BandLab are  so far going for only the promotion and listening (haven't given their CODEC any critical listening), which matches their usual M.O. of doing their best to confound anyone trying to figure out how they'll make money from a given part of their operations. 😄

I'll be up on it as soon as I have enough finished songs....yeah.

42 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yes, I was reading the thread while enjoying the jazz and thinking "Uhh, on Bandcamp I can usually buy the album for $10 and have it in FLAC form, so if I wanted to buy one or all of Hidden's songs, how would I do it here...."

I see Bandcamp as a listening/sales/promotion platform that does pretty well at all 3. You can follow artists and labels, they can send out messages to the people who follow them to let them know about releases and tour dates, etc. Tracks are usually available in FLAC and WAV, and when listening to my music collection through their app, their CODEC sounds really good. The purchasing process gives the buyer warm fuzzies, with encouragement to leave a note to the artist (which I have done and gotten at least one very nice reply).

It looks like BandLab are  so far going for only the promotion and listening (haven't given their CODEC any critical listening), which matches their usual M.O. of doing their best to confound anyone trying to figure out how they'll make money from a given part of their operations. 😄

I'll be up on it as soon as I have enough finished songs....yeah.

I agree on the making money comments concerning Bandlab especially.  It doesn't compute for any traditional money making approach for them

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

I believe this is just how Hidden set it up.  If he chose to do so, I beleive the option to buy it would have been there.

Other reports suggest Splice is the only way to accept payment, and for many of us, that is a limiting factor.

16 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Unfortunately, they only process tip payments through Stripe, which I don't have. Maybe that will change and I would be able to enter my paypal info for tip payments.

My son was using Stripe to  collect payments for his photography business and their system kept refusing people's credit cards,  It's a terrible system.

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

I believe this is just how Hidden set it up.  If he chose to do so, I beleive the option to buy it would have been there.

Other reports suggest Splice is the only way to accept payment, and for many of us, that is a limiting factor.

Correct, my music is already distributed elsewhere.  I use the BL albums feature for additional promo. 

• Like 1

I'm considering trying this out. I have been putting together a new album, and also have videos I've made of many of the tunes, too. Looks promising, since I am not  giging right now due to the Covid-19 situation, all my time's been spent in studio..