cakewalk not closing properly

jono grant

11 hours ago, scook said:

Two possible causes - 

waiting for the audio interface or

waiting for a plug-in to shutdown, often a 32bit plug-in running in Bitbridge.

No 32 bit plugins involved. It could be an empty session file; close it and it remains in the task manager processes. I'll post in the UAD forum as that its my sound interface. Thanks

I just checked in Sonar Platinum (last version) and Cakewalk (current version).

Both versions closed ok. There were some lingering plugin finding processes. But I killed them and they went away. I wasn't able to get them to return and remain after that.

This problem has been discussed at length on the Sonar site. From memory, the usual cause was an errant soundcard driver not being released after a shut down of Sonar. In some cases the driver would eventually close and Sonar would disappear from task manager. Other times it would require a restart of the sound interface being used, or, worse case scenario, a restart of the computer itself. Running drivers can often be checked in the "Services" section of Windows, so you could check to see if your card driver has been released. You can often close the driver from here as well. Sometimes a VST driver could be the cause as well.

I think there were other issues that would not allow Sonar to shut down correctly, but this seemed to be the most common. Any other details you could supply may give us a more insight into your problem. GL

Edited by rebel007

To be clear, does this issue occur when exiting by closing the browser window (i.e., the "X" in top right corner), when closing the file (File>Close), or both?

My issue is only with the File>Close function.  If I close the whole window it does not hang.

Edited by John Nelson

The problem exists when closing either by using the X or by File>close

Also, was able to test with a different sound card (normally UAD Apollo but tried with MOTU 2408 instead) same issue. Doesn't seem related to either card.

I've created new sessions, adding either a soft synth or various plug ins same problem, not always. Doesn't seem related to any plugin or plugin company (waves, UAD etc) Though, if I just create a session with nothing in it and save it. It likely won't hang bunt sometimes does.

Problem is random but mostly doesn't close without "end task"

not sure what to look for in "services" when it's stuck in the task manager...

I can only think it's messed up windows files or something. Haven't reinstalled Windows in years. (alwyas a major undertaking)

It doesn't seem to happen with the bandlab version but I'm still using X1 for a bit. Just wondered if there was a particular cause..

Jono

I've never had this issue on regular closing (Platinum) but I have seen it when it decides to crash for some reason and even using task manager to end the process will also be ineffective. Although I do use 32 bit plug-ins in 64 it also happened in 32 bit Platinum, more often if anything, so I guessed at an audio issue. More often than not for me opening another audio program like Audacity will clear it, but there have also been times where only a reboot will do it. On more than one occasion I've had the situation where  even the shutdown/restart  would hang and I've had to force it. I've always just put it down to one of those computer things that you just learn to live with like when windows tells you that it's going to do something that you really don't want it to do and your only option is to agree that its OK.☹️

I think cakewalk staying open after closing is related to something 32 bit VST related, or bit bridge... I will see a teleport stopped working  message from time to time.

I used to use  J bridge  on older Sonar, is that still necessary to install to use 32 bit vsts? Everything is mostly 64bit but there are a few 32 bit things in there still. Just wondering if I can minimize the program hang on closing.

Thanks

IMHO JBridge is FAR superior to BitBridge, as it has so many compatibility options to tweak.

Cakewalk's integration with JBridge is good to. You no longer have to fire up JBridger to create 64bit wrappers around your 32 bit plugins.

If you go into the plugin properties (either from the Synth rack, or Plugin Manager), check "Load with JBridge wrapper" and the next time you load it, it will be with JBridge.

Cakewalk also uses its original VST id, so you can swap between BitBridge and JBridge without it thinking it's a different plugin.

FYI JBridge can also help with 64 bit plugins, such as the UJAM Virtual Guitarist VSTi's which seem to require a crazy high buffer size otherwise.