Thanks to this forum...

Gary McCoy

Yes, these are all simply tools. What matters is how it works for each user's work methods. I have assorted copies of most though no longer on my machine (I do have lite versions of ProTools and Studio One installed)  Except for a few rare situations, I only use CbB as I have since Cakewalk fir Windows.

The real reason I chimed in here is To remind many that the new Melodyne 5 update now has chord tracks...

Sadly for me the update requires win10 and my DAW is trapped at win8.1. Dual xeon 6 core processors (3.06) and 64G RAM is hard to abandon...

Edited by Keni

On 7/3/2020 at 12:13 PM, James Argo said:

I still don't get the idea of word "moving" from one DAW to another. Like you are leaving your girl to live with another one.

Well I don't think it's so much that you move...you add. I don't know any guitarist who has only one guitar, or keyboard player who has only one keyboard. 

Ableton Live is still the best choice for live performance, the only way to get it to crash is to drop your laptop from 10 feet onto a concrete floor. Studio One has the mastering/song page integration no one else has. I've often rendered Cakewalk files and mastered in Studio One. The workflow for mixing in Cakewalk is extremely smooth.

It's getting easier and easier to start a project in one DAW, and finish it in another. And there are DAW-specific features. If you want to create Acidized, stretchable files, Cakewalk is one of the few that does it. Studio One has that amazing harmonic editing that works with audio, not just MIDI. Cubase has great MIDI capabilities, and Pro Tools is...uh, well...Pro Tools. :)

With Cakewalk being free, there's no economic penalty in taking advantage of what it does best.

• Like 1

In this discussion, when discussing moving to one DAW or another as the tasks require, are we talking about moving a full project from one DAW (say CbB) to another DAW (say Reaper or SonarX3) or just moving individual audio or midi in and out of different DAWs as the tasks require, and then back into the full project in the original DAW?  Or something else?

14 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Well I don't think it's so much that you move...you add. I don't know any guitarist who has only one guitar, or keyboard player who has only one keyboard. 

Exactly.  I have already moved some stems from Cakewalk over to S1 to edit, tweak, and mix.  I find the S1 workflow more to my liking.

19 hours ago, Billy Zeppa said:

In this discussion, when discussing moving to one DAW or another as the tasks require, are we talking about moving a full project from one DAW (say CbB) to another DAW (say Reaper or SonarX3) or just moving individual audio or midi in and out of different DAWs as the tasks require, and then back into the full project in the original DAW?  Or something else?

That's up to the user. I start different projects in different DAWs based on my expectations of how the project will unfold, or export stems from one DAW and import them into another. The latter is particularly the case with DAWs that have certain plug-ins that are locked to that DAW, and the only way you can use them is to use the DAW.

Studio one 5 just released and now has notation built in, for what it's worth.  Pretty sure they also finally added polyphonic pressure as well, though they aren't really making it much of a big deal for as long and as many requested it...personally, k don't need it, but for many with cymbal chokes on Roland gear, it was a bit miss to not be there.  I am sure there are many other use cases.

On 7/11/2020 at 4:19 PM, Blades said:

Studio one 5 just released and now has notation built in, for what it's worth.  

Don't get your hopes up.

I bought Notion 6.5 to go with StudioOne - and it fails even to navigate midi files I have. I had a couple of bars it completely loose navigation and result was not usable. StudioOne played them alright though, just Notion - so that code into StudioOne maybe will fail as well.

Notion even less succeed in splitting a midi file into two staves - for grand piano staff, or whatever they called it. Track had to be named Piano or anything twohanded you have recorded cannot be presented as two staves - at import only, or if recording directly into Notion.

In Cakewalk staff view this is as easy as anything - just select bass+treble clef or whatever it was called, and select which note to split it on - done.

And you can go back and forth changing until you get best readability for that notation.

Staff view has so much going for it - it's such a pity it does not get more attention from bakers.

As long as I had 4/4 signature and no triplets - I had really good use of it from Sonar 4 onwards.

But taking drums lessons and starting to do more interesting time signatures - triplets stuff - it cannot be used. Not ordinary shuffle even.

• 2 weeks later...