Thanks to this forum...

Gary McCoy

...for all the help and advice I've gotten over the years.  I am moving over to Studio One,  but I have to thank this community for all the support I have received.  I have always thought that this forum is one of the major advantages of using Cakewalk.  Best of luck to you all.

• Like 2

I moved from StudioOne back to Cakewalk due to that all midi recording of CC is forced to automation, that was a showstopper for me.

It means that first move of a control like filter attack on synth or leslie on organ always was sent at beginning of clip.

So even having the actual midi CC 2 bars in from clip start - this is interpreted as initial value and sent not where recorded but at beginning of clip.

In Cakewalk it remains data as long as you want, no problems at all. And you can convert to automation style if you want.

Just FYI.....

40 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

I've used Sonar, Studio One, and Ableton Live since they were introduced. I don't see any reason to stop using all three of them.

Studio One is my main DAW with exports into CbB and Reaper because of my collaborators (die hard users 🙂). Sometimes the reverse: CbB into Studio One if I'm not the driver/producer. 

On 7/1/2020 at 12:10 AM, LarsF said:

I moved from StudioOne back to Cakewalk due to that all midi recording of CC is forced to automation, that was a showstopper for me.

It means that first move of a control like filter attack on synth or leslie on organ always was sent at beginning of clip.

So even having the actual midi CC 2 bars in from clip start - this is interpreted as initial value and sent not where recorded but at beginning of clip.

In Cakewalk it remains data as long as you want, no problems at all. And you can convert to automation style if you want.

Just FYI.....

Yeah, Studio One is not up to CbB's MIDI capabilities. TBF Cakewalk started out as a MIDI sequencer decades before Studio One was even born.

I'm less and less a MIDI guys these days. And where I am is using EZKeys, EZDrummer and Superior 3 with minor edits. And then only to give a live drummer or keyboard player a basic idea of where to go.

I have EZBass but since that's my main instrument for over 50 years now EZBass is just a thing to have in the locker (just in case).

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

Been using studio one here since Gibson dumped cw in 2017.  I did my last song in cbb though, just to see how the updates have come along. .I can honestly say that I could work in either pretty comfortably, have complaints and likes about each, but still lean to the studio one side for a number of reasons.

Do NOT expect the same forum comraderie over at presonus though.  It is not the same.  Even when I have recorded something in studio one, I get feedback here but I don't even get feedback over there when I have used their tool.  It is one reason I have stuck around here along with just keeping up with cbb as a daw.  You still should get on their forum though, as it is still a good spot, just not as good as this one!

Let me know if you need any pointers and I will help if I can.

• Like 1

I've stopped updates to all other DAWS  except CbB.  When I re-build and go for a clean new set-up. It will be a pure CbB daw.  It still amazes me to open a 25 + year old project - and do a little updating to current plugs or VSTi - and bada bing..... 1989 ... I plug in a guitar and I'm playing  new agey puke jazz all over again.   wow  - maybe that's not a good thing.

Edited by RBH
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bapu said:

Yeah, Studio One is not up to CnB's MIDI capabilities. TBF Cakewalk started out as a MIDI sequencer decades before Studio One was even born.

True, I ran Cakewalk Pro 3.0 late 80's and as MSDOS and it had sysex manager already then.

StudioOne does not even support sysex at all, not for recording or anything.

I had to go to extensive length with plugins that could program to send initializing to various midi gear as I load a project. My Yamaha piano had mixed midi CC and sysex as initialized so recorded in Sonar and used special plugins.

Midi editing in StudioOne - you cannot remove midi CC at all. I had unwanted CC1 as I was playing a keyboard, mod wheel just moved, I had to move midi to Sonar to remove it. You cannot remove first value of CC in StudioOne, even if node is deleted.

Some handling of chords and chord track etc is very useful in StudioOne though.

9 hours ago, LarsF said:

Some handling of chords and chord track etc is very useful in StudioOne though.

^^ This ^^

Because of my current workflow of building demos for my collaborators I use the Chord Track quite extensively.

I still don't get the idea of word "moving" from one DAW to another. Like you are leaving your girl to live with another one.
Come on, DAW is just a tool, you can have many if you like and afford. I don't love Cakey for sentimental reason only. I love it for its functional reason.
Many aspect (including this wonderful community) could lead me to love certain tool so much, but sometime I need another tool to make my work done in different situation. I don't need to feel sorry to install Cubase, Protools and Studio One in my PC, though I only use them probably once in a year. The point is to make good recorded music (audio) in the best practical way possible in different situation & circumtances.
Indeed, I feel lucky Cakewalk has one of the best community in the world.

2 hours ago, James Argo said:

I think this may be the reason people feel sad about leaving. It is one of the best forums around for music creation/production. Even when I left for awhile to explore Reaper, I was on this forum every day. so many people here have a tremendous store of knowledge, and are willing to share it. not always the case elsewhere.

I tried several others when Sonar departure was announced. I will most likely upgrade Studio One when it comes but I don't think I will with the others I brought.   But for some reason Cakewalk just feels like home to me after all these years. Maybe it is because of the forum :D

12 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Maybe it is because of the forum :D

Yeah, it's the forum and for the most part the users here don't dogpile on those of us who don't use CbB as the primary DAW anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bapu said:

Yeah, it's the forum and for the most part the users here don't dogpile on those of us who don't use CbB as the primary DAW anymore.

If Presonus had a built in staff view I would of been more tempted to move over myself. I liked Samplitude but it was funky on my system.  Still the chord track on Studio One is a really great feature!   It is nice to have a couple of DAW's  to play with.  Reaper and me, as great as it's audio engine is, I just never could gel with it.

On 7/1/2020 at 2:20 PM, Craig Anderton said:

I've used Sonar, Studio One, and Ableton Live since they were introduced. I don't see any reason to stop using all three of them.

Of course.  I love Cakewalk and will continue to use it when it suits my requirements.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:51 PM, Blades said:

Been using studio one here since Gibson dumped cw in 2017.  I did my last song in cbb though, just to see how the updates have come along. .I can honestly say that I could work in either pretty comfortably, have complaints and likes about each, but still lean to the studio one side for a number of reasons.

Do NOT expect the same forum comraderie over at presonus though.  It is not the same.  Even when I have recorded something in studio one, I get feedback here but I don't even get feedback over there when I have used their tool.  It is one reason I have stuck around here along with just keeping up with cbb as a daw.  You still should get on their forum though, as it is still a good spot, just not as good as this one!

Let me know if you need any pointers and I will help if I can.

Good info, and thanks for the offer.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:13 PM, James Argo said:

I still don't get the idea of word "moving" from one DAW to another. Like you are leaving your girl to live with another one.
Come on, DAW is just a tool, you can have many if you like and afford. I don't love Cakey for sentimental reason only. I love it for its functional reason.
Many aspect (including this wonderful community) could lead me to love certain tool so much, but sometime I need another tool to make my work done in different situation. I don't need to feel sorry to install Cubase, Protools and Studio One in my PC, though I only use them probably once in a year. The point is to make good recorded music (audio) in the best practical way possible in different situation & circumtances.

Correct.  My initial post was not clear enough.  I still have CW, along with with a 25 year backlog of projects.  I love it and will always have it at my fingertips.  However, after using it for a few weeks now, I will be using Studio One as my primary DAW and plan to start all new projects with it.  Thanks for the input.