Mastering

steelstringer

Question

Hello all. New to this app (using it on my iPad). When I am ready to master a project, I usually like to apply a bit of compression and an eq to the entire project. I also like to have control of a master volume that affects the entire project. But so far, I can only find these options on individual tracks. Am I missing something?  I’ve seen the premade CD quality, Bass Boost, etc.,  but those are not interesting to me. Any tips? Thank you. 

8 answers to this question

The included project templates have a master bus defined.

If you are not using one of the project templates:

• select all the audio and instrument tracks,
  • while holding down the CTRL key, click on one of the track output drop downs and select "New Stereo Bus"

In the bus pane, right-click the new bus and select "Set as Default Bus".

Now any new audio and instrument tracks added to the project will automatically be routed to the bus.

For mastering it is pretty straight forward. Open a new cakewalk template and use the basic CWP template.

Delete the midi track as it wont be needed. You'll be left with one audio track and a master bus (plus your hardware output bus).

I usually add a few more audio tracks for reference tracks.

I load up my Track FX bin with limiters, compressors, multiband EQ, analog coloring, exc and i use the Master bus for all my spectrum analyzers, Meters, LUFS.

9 hours ago, scook said:

The included project templates have a master bus defined.

If you are not using one of the project templates:

• select all the audio and instrument tracks,
  • while holding down the CTRL key, click on one of the track output drop downs and select "New Stereo Bus"

In the bus pane, right-click the new bus and select "Set as Default Bus".

Now any new audio and instrument tracks added to the project will automatically be routed to the bus.

I’ve included screenshots here because I am not seeing any master controls after I start a new project. If I double tap on a track, I have many effects and tools, but none that I can apply to the entire project. Are there some other templates that I am missing? I Have been using  Import Track option. Keep in mind that I’m using an iPad. Thanks again for the replies.

BAB447B5-0BC0-4498-AC7C-2229A4E557B5.png

34DB7260-93E7-49C1-B659-94B834C0889B.png

6D89CF50-9059-4708-A9CB-BAB4695EAAD4.png

Those are screenshots from Bandlab which is an online tool.  The help others gave pertain to Cakewalk [aka Cakewalk by Bandlab] a Windows-based DAW.

I know almost nothing about the Browser-based Bandlab app, but evidently there is a Mastering feature. Look at the Mastering link which I found at the bottom of one of Bandlab's pages under Features.

Edited by User 905133
to add links to a Features page at the Bandlab site and the mastering tool page.

13 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Those are screenshots from Bandlab which is an online tool.  The help others gave pertain to Cakewalk [aka Cakewalk by Bandlab] a Windows-based DAW.

I know almost nothing about the Browser-based Bandlab app, but evidently there is a Mastering feature. Look at the Mastering link at the bottom on this page.

I see... Is this the wrong forum for my question? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, steelstringer said:

I see... Is this the wrong forum for my question? Thanks. 

I am just a Cakewalk user who has minimally explored the potential for using the Bandlab App. I have been thinking of creating stuff with Cakewalk and somewhere down the road looking for possible collaborators via Bandlab's social networking features.  So, I wondered about Mastering based on your question and looked it up.  I have seen there are ways to do projects in Cakewalk and export them to Bandlab and vice versa.  I believe others here have more experience with that.

I recall seeing an education section.  I briefly looked at some of the links there, but I don't recall much about it.  Maybe someone else knows if there is currently a forum like this one for Bandlab App users.

UPDATE:  I was looking for some threads I remembered for my own interest and in case you might be interested in working with both Cakewalk by Bandlab (aka CbB) and the Bandlab App.  I didn't find the one I was remembering yet, but I found this, which might interest you and others.  

Also, the Cakewalk Online Documentation includes a page on exporting to Bandlab. But there is more extensive information in the Cakewalk Reference Guide (pp. 94-97 in the current Reference Guide).

image.thumb.png.a28da41940636d4e93b7cd4ab27d8961.png

There's also a blurb about this at the Help Center.

Pure speculation on my part (or maybe its wishful thinking), but from what I have seen there might be more potential for "Integration between Bandlab and Cakewalk."  For example, Cakewalk has a new Arranger feature.  I can imagine (once I learn how to use that) being able to work on a section and export it to Bandlab to share with a collaborator who might be working on a different section so they can just be popped into a project.  

As for Mastering using the Bandlab tool, I thought I saw someone in this forum mention using it, but I can't find the post.  

Edited by User 905133
to add a link related to using CbB and the Bandlab App

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

I am just a Cakewalk user who has minimally explored the potential for using the Bandlab App. I have been thinking of creating stuff with Cakewalk and somewhere down the road looking for possible collaborators via Bandlab's social networking features.  So, I wondered about Mastering based on your question and looked it up.  I have seen there are ways to do projects in Cakewalk and export them to Bandlab and vice versa.  I believe others here have more experience with that.

I recall seeing an education section.  I briefly looked at some of the links there, but I don't recall much about it.  Maybe someone else knows if there is currently a forum like this one for Bandlab App users.

UPDATE:  I was looking for some threads I remembered for my own interest and in case you might be interested in working with both Cakewalk by Bandlab (aka CbB) and the Bandlab App.  I didn't find the one I was remembering yet, but I found this, which might interest you and others.  

Also, the Cakewalk Online Documentation includes a page on exporting to Bandlab. But there is more extensive information in the Cakewalk Reference Guide (pp. 94-97 in the current Reference Guide).

image.thumb.png.a28da41940636d4e93b7cd4ab27d8961.png

There's also a blurb about this at the Help Center.

Pure speculation on my part (or maybe its wishful thinking), but from what I have seen there might be more potential for "Integration between Bandlab and Cakewalk."  For example, Cakewalk has a new Arranger feature.  I can imagine (once I learn how to use that) being able to work on a section and export it to Bandlab to share with a collaborator who might be working on a different section so they can just be popped into a project.  

As for Mastering using the Bandlab tool, I thought I saw someone in this forum mention using it, but I can't find the post.  

Thank you. I will look into the full Cakewalk DAW. It seems that the app doesn’t have all of features that I need. 

• Like 2