Close Project suddenly closes entire Cakewalk program

Since the latest update, when I try to just close the current open project, it closes the entire program. If I have a project open and click the X to just close that project, it closes and brings up the Start Screen. I click on Existing Project and boom! The entire Cakewalk program closes.  Sometimes when I try to close the project, it immediately closes the entire program but, the Start Screen still comes up, free-floating and when I click on Existing Project, it just closes.

Is anybody else seeing this behavior? What can I do to fix it?

3 minutes ago, Rod L. Short said:

Since the latest update, when I try to just close the current open project, it closes the entire program. If I have a project open and click the X to just close that project, it closes and brings up the Start Screen. I click on Existing Project and boom! The entire Cakewalk program closes.  Sometimes when I try to close the project, it immediately closes the entire program but, the Start Screen still comes up, free-floating and when I click on Existing Project, it just closes.

Is anybody else seeing this behavior? What can I do to fix it?

Check if Cakewalk.exe is still running in the Task Manager when it closes like that. If so, create a dump file for us to see why it's exiting like that.

I'd also check to see if it happens with just a new blank project or if it's related to the files you're working with. If a new project closes okay, try opening one of your projects in Safe Mode by holding shift when opening the project from the Start Screen (or File | Open), then hit No to All when prompted about plugins. See if it then closes normally (just be sure you don't save unless you want your project stripped of plugins).

Details on generating a dump file can be found here:

• Thanks 1

Jonathan Sasor - When I click the X to close the project, cakewalk.exe closes in Task Manager.

It does not do it in a new, blank project.

When I open a project in Safe Mode with no plugins, it closes normally.

Also, Cakewalk shows "Very High" power usage in Task Manager. Is that normal?

Just out of curiosity, I tried this in Studio One and it works fine. Also, it shows "moderate" to "high" power usage in Task Manager.  

Edited by Rod L. Short
Add information

5 hours ago, Rod L. Short said:

Jonathan Sasor - When I click the X to close the project, cakewalk.exe closes in Task Manager.

It does not do it in a new, blank project.

When I open a project in Safe Mode with no plugins, it closes normally.

Also, Cakewalk shows "Very High" power usage in Task Manager. Is that normal?

Just out of curiosity, I tried this in Studio One and it works fine. Also, it shows "moderate" to "high" power usage in Task Manager.  

Can you upload one of your projects to see if we can reproduce the issue? if it closes okay in Safe Mode, I wonder if there's a plugin that you're using that's crashing on project close.

18 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Check if Cakewalk.exe is still running in the Task Manager when it closes like that. If so, create a dump file for us to see why it's exiting like that.

I'd also check to see if it happens with just a new blank project or if it's related to the files you're working with. If a new project closes okay, try opening one of your projects in Safe Mode by holding shift when opening the project from the Start Screen (or File | Open), then hit No to All when prompted about plugins. See if it then closes normally (just be sure you don't save unless you want your project stripped of plugins).

Details on generating a dump file can be found here:

Hi  -can you advise where I find the two locations as mentioned (below). i.e. where is %appdata% held on a PC? Thank you.

%AppData%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Minidumps

%AppData%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Minidumps\Plugins

Open up Windows File Explorer and paste the address into the address bar at the top like this:

1726972440_FileExplorer.png.9f647e2d86b94770133bdf6ba2d17eef.png

Then press enter.

That'll take you to your actual Minidumps folder (that address fills in your username and proper path location automatically).

5 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:
10 hours ago, Rod L. Short said:

Can you upload one of your projects to see if we can reproduce the issue? if it closes okay in Safe Mode, I wonder if there's a plugin that you're using that's crashing on project close.

Not quite sure how/where to upload a project. Also, if you don't have all the same plugins I am using, will that tell you anything? I'm a little confused.

29 minutes ago, Rod L. Short said:

Not quite sure how/where to upload a project. Also, if you don't have all the same plugins I am using, will that tell you anything? I'm a little confused.

In this case, I don't think we necessarily need the audio, so you can either post here or PM me with the .cwp for the project attached. Otherwise dropbox/google drive links always work. 

We've got a pretty healthy collection of plugins to try, so it's always worth a shot, or we can reach out to other vendors if there's an issue too. Also if it's not necessarily a plugin crash, it's helpful to see if we can repro the issue on our end regardless. Thanks!

On 7/1/2020 at 5:07 PM, Lord Tim said:

Open up Windows File Explorer and paste the address into the address bar at the top like this:

1726972440_FileExplorer.png.9f647e2d86b94770133bdf6ba2d17eef.png

Then press enter.

That'll take you to your actual Minidumps folder (that address fills in your username and proper path location automatically).

Thank you  -do you also know how to open a minidump?