Metal-Rock guys?

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Not so much Metal... but definitely a Rock guy.

Used to be more into Prog Rock when I was younger.

Now, I prefer simpler... well-crafted songs.

God knows I love prog rock, but jeez, what a time-and-brains consuming it can get!

• Like 1

All prog metal myself, but I also record some clients who do other forms of rock.  I mostly use the Kemper Profiler direct to DAW for guitars now.  I just could never get the quality of some of those guitar sounds mic'ing the cabinets myself.  Been trying for two decades!

Edited by saxon1066
  • Thanks 1

There are so many great amp sims out there now. I think there was a thread in the Coffeehouse where people asked what was the biggest innovation in the last 5 years or something like that, and a few people mentioned the realism of amp sims. You could always get something usable in context (which is really the only thing that matters at the end of the day - what does it sound like in context?) but the stuff that's out there now is in a whole different league.

It's good to be nostalgic about a cranked tube amp (which, of course, sounds fantastic) but given that vs. the convenience of turning up with a profiler or even something like what I use live, which is an iPod running Amplitube into a little 200w class-D power amp... I know what I'd prefer to lug around. 😉

I think also people would be really surprised at what actually ends up on a record, even if it was a real amp being used. Sure, that might be a great old Marshall JCM800 into Vintage 30s, but which mic? How many? Placement? And when it's recorded, what processing is being done? Sometimes it's slamming it down to tape that gets the sound, sometimes it's through a multiband to shape the tone and tame stray frequencies... Not to mention the sound might actually be a blend of several amps. It's fascinating and if you're inclined to experiment in the studio, it's super rewarding getting amazing tones doing that.

But then there's days you just want the job done - plug in, get a good tone first go, every time... yeah, I'll take the profiler/modeler, thanks! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Companies like Fractal Audio and Kemper raised the bar for guitar (amp-sim) processors.

This caused other companies like Line-6, Atomic Amps, HeadRush (InMusic), UA, etc to step-up their modeling.

Line-6 (IMO) nailed a great UI with Helix.  Super easy to use.  They also released Helix Native (software only version of Helix), which is extremely convenient.

I've owned/used all the major guitar modeling/profiling processors... and compared most side-by-side. 

In short, ALL are capable of good/excellent results.

All are also capable of sounding bad.  The more familiar you are with your chosen modeler/profiler (and the original gear), the better your end result.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

There are so many great amp sims out there now. I think there was a thread in the Coffeehouse where people asked what was the biggest innovation in the last 5 years or something like that, and a few people mentioned the realism of amp sims. You could always get something usable in context (which is really the only thing that matters at the end of the day - what does it sound like in context?) but the stuff that's out there now is in a whole different league.

It's good to be nostalgic about a cranked tube amp (which, of course, sounds fantastic) but given that vs. the convenience of turning up with a profiler or even something like what I use live, which is an iPod running Amplitube into a little 200w class-D power amp... I know what I'd prefer to lug around. 😉

I think also people would be really surprised at what actually ends up on a record, even if it was a real amp being used. Sure, that might be a great old Marshall JCM800 into Vintage 30s, but which mic? How many? Placement? And when it's recorded, what processing is being done? Sometimes it's slamming it down to tape that gets the sound, sometimes it's through a multiband to shape the tone and tame stray frequencies... Not to mention the sound might actually be a blend of several amps. It's fascinating and if you're inclined to experiment in the studio, it's super rewarding getting amazing tones doing that.

But then there's days you just want the job done - plug in, get a good tone first go, every time... yeah, I'll take the profiler/modeler, thanks! 🙂

I'm the OP of that thread, and my personal pick was the evolution of amp-sims. They've got really really good these last 2 or 3 years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I grew up listening to Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin. Then I took great interest in bands like Metallica and  Alice in chains.

But I loved artists like Jeff Buckley, Etta James, Nina Simone and Otis Redding.

However, when I'm given the choice.. 90 percent of the time I would rather listen to brutal, heavy rock.

• Thanks 1