Simple way to monitor mid or sides in Cakewalk

jono grant

I use Cakewalk's Channel Tools which came with SONAR.

The key is to keep the input mode as Stereo, then reduce the Mid gain to nothing to solo the sides. Double clicking the Mid gain brings it back to unity gain.

image.png.17f292af9c9878f1f44d26d29c0287a7.png

This does however give a very "fractured" version of the sides, as it's unnaturally split across left/right with nothing in the middle. It may be what is actually only coming on the sides, but it's difficult for the ear to deal with.

Setting the input mode to Mid-Side makes it mono, which does give a clearer representation making it easier on the ear.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I use Cakewalk's Channel Tools which came with SONAR.

The key is to keep the input mode as Stereo, then reduce the Mid gain to nothing to solo the sides. Double clicking the Mid gain brings it back to unity gain.

PS. Is Channel Tools not available for the Bandlab version? I always used to have it. Don't see it now.

Thanks

Jono

14 hours ago, jono grant said:

Confused! LOL

I saw in another thread that Noel mentioned some plugins may be returning in the next update, so it's possible this may be one of them. I still use this one myself all the time (I have it from a previous SONAR install) and it's excellent for heaps of different applications. :)