CTRL+L Mistake

Bill Phillips

Question

What happened when I pressed CTRL+L in project shown below? Since there are no groove clips and no clips were selected I would expect either nothing would happen or maybe a select a groove clip message would pop up. But that's not what happened. Is there anyway to terminate erroneous commands once a popup appears? Nothing I tried worked.

The project shows an existing loop selection at the end of the 2nd verse and I've made a new loop selection in the Timeline of 1st verse. I intended to press SHFT+L to make a new loop selection. Instead I got confused and pressed CTRL+L. Big Mistake. Cakewalk got busy and non-responsive. Then the hidden data slip editing error message shown in the screenshot popped up. I tried to cancel or close it. No luck. I tried to close the project. No luck. So I clicked OK. The mixdown progress bar popped up in the Control Bar and when it finished a saving project message appeared. Once that cleared,  the same message reappeared. This happened I'd say more than a dozen times. When it was done, I was able to close the project without saving. So I don't think any damage was done.

Unbelievably I re-opened the project and did the same thing a second time and the same thing happened again. So it's repeatable. After that I was able to figure out that I should be pressing SHFT+L which removes the existing loop points and added the new ones as expected.

The project has 40 tracks many contain no clips and some with clips are hidden.

MLiVOhu.png

Edited by Bill Phillips
Correction

4 answers to this question

Ctrl-L is Toggle Group-Clip Looping.

Edit -> Preferences. Bottom left make sure Advanced is selected. Then Customisation -> Keyboard Short Cuts. In the alphabet list click on any letter. Underneath the list it tells you Assigned to:

To see Ctrl-L, click the Locate Key button, then do Ctrl-L, and the list will change to the Ctrl-xxx combinations. Same with Shift-xxx, Ctrl-Alt-xxx etc.

13 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Ctrl-L is Toggle Group-Clip Looping.

Exactly. I don't think I have any clip groups to loop. So nothing should have happened.  What happened had nothing to do with looping. The popup indicates that clips were bounced but no new clips have been added to the project audio folder. My question is what happened and why?

Edited by Bill Phillips
Correction