Thank You Microsoft for breaking my computer with your most recent update

kennywtelejazz

19 hours ago, antler said:

I'm surprised Kenny's computer didn't try to upgrade itself earlier though: build 1511 is the November patch from 2015 - I was under the impression that each patch is only supported for 18 months, which is probably why it updated to 18xx first of all.

A couple of thing may have delayed the update from build 1511 . First I didn't use the computer everyday , I used it mostly for Music when I did use it but I kept it off line as much as I could except to update Cakewalk by BandLab , Reaper, and a numberof other DAWs and assorted  plug/synth  updates  .

I have 3 unremarkable  Win 10 64 Lap tops hide.gif  and I can tell you this machine never got updated first when it came to bumping up my music software .

My reason behind that was simple. I wound up putting some of the  best musical software I have purchased over time on this machine ...

Also this is the only computer I own and use  that has all my i Lock stuff on it

I wont give a list , but I do have a lot of cool musical stuff as many of us do here on this forum ...When I factor in some software products only give you 2 licenses or a 2 computer at a time limit ...I had decided to use this computer as  a resource for that ...In addition ,  every i Lock product I have purchased ( which is considerable ) are installed on this lap top ....

My reasoning behind this was simple Baby the heck out of this thing and always update the other computers first ..

Now you would think since I was air gaping this thing it would always stay the way it was ...I had it set to a metered connection , that may have helped delay things  but I sort of think  my most recent change was what did it ...For the past 5 years I did not have my own internet acct w my own modem ...

A very good friend of mine ( that knew my situation ) had everything for his home internet ....Sports  packages , TV , Movies , land line and what ever else that drove his bill up to $300 + a month gave me an account and log in for me to piggy back ...any way to make a long story short he bought a house and cut back on his Internet plan so he no longer had access to unlimited hot spots when a way from home ...unsecured hot spots was what I was using ...

SO I think now that I'm doing a lot  better and I get my own acct and modem , I suspect that may have tipped it in favor for MS to finally getting a hold of me   by the pubes  and doing a long overdue OS upgrade  on my out of date , out of spec Etch A Sketch ....

I don't know if that's true or not , and if they can do that ,  but that's the story I'm telling myself for now        phones.gif

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

On 6/30/2020 at 7:43 AM, Øyvind Skald said:

Can we get Sonar as it is for Linux, with all all drivers, Vsts and all working?

I would switch in a second.....

Would be a complete waste of development resources.   Virtually no-one uses Linux on a primary machine (or a secondary one).

I use this program O&O to make sure my computer doesn´t update unless I want it to, one thing that really was irritating was when MS decided that I "needed" a service called "Connected Devices Platform Service" (CDPSvc, intended to syncronize documents and stuff like email between say desktop, ipad and cellphone) and a couple of  services connected to it.

These have all been turned on again after each update, with new suffixes each time.

I started looking into it since the computer felt somewhat sluggish and when I finally managed to turn them off (changing start type in the registry) it was like lifting a wet blanket from the mouth or removing a backpack from an olympic swimmer.

New services may be good, but whether they should be on or off should be decided by the user according to hers/his needs, not MS, I paid for a fully functioning OS and bought pretty expensive hardware & do not use any connected devices.

I turn off everything but Windows Defender and "Disable password reveal button", when for some reason it feels like it´s time to update I switch "Automatic updates" on and do Windows search for updates.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:43 PM, Øyvind Skald said:

Can we get Sonar as it is for Linux, with all all drivers, Vsts and all working?

I would switch in a second.....

Just out of interest, are you saying this because you've used Linux before and like it?

• 3 weeks later...