Saving and loading VST configuration

Olaf

Hi,

Does anybody know how you can save the VST plugin configuration in Cakewalk - like the personalized names and  categories in the browser, the enabled/excluded status in CWPM, the upsampling settings, and the individual plugins properties for each - to load after a reinstall, so that you don't have to redo the entire process every single time?

That would be really useful to know.

Thanks!

The plugin layouts are stored in separate files here:

%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

The details & plugin options of the plugins are stored in the registry under:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory

So if you wanted to back your plugin configs, make a copy of your plugin layout files and export the registry key above within regedit.

22 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The plugin layouts are stored in separate files here:

%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

The details & plugin options of the plugins are stored in the registry under:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory

So if you wanted to back your plugin configs, make a copy of your plugin layout files and export the registry key above within regedit.

Thanks a lot! I'll give that a try before reinstalling. I'm thinking of going portable, as my current installation just crapped out again.

Do you have any idea on how to do the same for the general CW settings - metering options, grid visualizations, time assist, and all the rest?

4 minutes ago, scook said:

Upsample settings are stored in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\AUD.ini

Plug-in Categories are stored in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Library\Library.db

Aha, alright! Very useful. I would have missed it. I'm making a readme of all this for future reference.

I suspect the general CW visualization settings are stored in an .ini, too. Know which one?

Thanks!

The user directory contains the ini files, master.ins and could contain other data depending on Folder Locations in preferences but most of the settings are in the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software

I have never attempted to do the level of migration you are asking about. I do it so infrequently, it is easier to start from scratch. Far less chance for error. And I have never wanted to replicate the environment so completely.

Years ago, I did create a folder tree separate from the Cakewalk install where I placed a lot of custom info (template, drum maps, CAL...) and use a combination of preference changes and directory junctions to link it into the Cakewalk install. These do get carried over from machine to machine.

Yeah, so the main take away is that Library.db holds the browser settings - classifications and names, and the plugin options are stored in the registry.

I've tried to migrate to a portable edition of 06.2020, but the structure of the user directories it writes is too weird to follow for customized setup, and the lack of registry keys makes some installs not work.

So in the end, reinstalled the normal version from scratch, with the same known glitches.

Thanks, Scook, and Highlander 😋, for your input. That info was useful.