Making Future Funk With CW

Eastern Tiger

Not Sure if this is the right place. Not even sure if this is what I should ask. I have seen all these tutorials for making future funk for other DAWs but not cakewalk. I tried to follow those instructions and it just got too confusing due to not knowing my way around CW and its add ons/plugins ect. It seems simple but it isnt when you are a beginner. I figured I have to learn the basics anyways. Bht it would have been really helpful if there was a cw tutorial for this genre. Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks in advance!

First of all, welcome to the forum and to Cakewalk by BandLab.  You've asked a great question.

To properly answer your question it's nice to know what music genre Future funk is part of.  That gives me an idea of how the music is created, through recording or electronic music.  I performed an internet search and Wikipedia states Future funk is a sub genre of Vaporwave.  That tells me you are more interested in creating electronic music than in recording musicians or singers.

Deeper reading reveals

Future funk expands upon the disco/house elements of vaporwave. It takes a more energetic approach than vaporwave and incorporates elements of French house, albeit produced in the same sample based manner as vaporwave. Most of these samples are drawn from Japanese city pop records from the 1980s.

Based on that article I'd think you may want to look at what BandLab Assistant and the online Bandlab platform has to offer in addition to looking at Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB).  While CbB can certainly be used to create electronic music, it may not be the best place to start or the best tool for the job.  BandLab Assistant offers many free loop packages that are suitable for use in creating music based in electronic music while the online platform offers many tools to enhance the loops.

Cakewalk by BandLab calls loops "Groove Clips".  The program is one of the few that can be used to create loops.  I would use the program to create loops, use the loop matrix to assemble them into tracks, use the console view to add effects, use the tracks to consolidate the clips into a continious audio file and then combine everything into a stereo mix.

I'm a beginner myself so I may not be the best advisor.  I'm sure others will chime in and offer specific suggestions.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 1