EzBass update (not a deal)

Matthew Sorrels

Looks like there is an EzBass update (to version 1.0.5) long release notes:

Release notes for EZbass 1.0.5

2020-06-26

EZbass 1.0.5 is now available to download using the Product Manager or from the “My Products” area in your Toontrack account. Please note that version 1.0.5 is required for the support of EZbass products released from this point forward (Q2 2020).

NEW

General

Added support for authorizing and using EBXs (EZbass sound expansions).

The CCs for modulation, damping and sustain can no longer be used for MIDI Learn.

Tooltips for GUI elements, e.g. buttons, will no longer appear after you have clicked on the element (until you move the mouse away from it and back).

Song Track

When exporting to audio, (2)/(3)/etc. is automatically appended to the file names if the files already exist.

Grooves Tab

In Tap2Find, a new button lets you search while keeping the active filters. The main search button clears the filters.

Buttons and knobs in Tap2Find have been rearranged a bit.

Grid Editor

“Smart Snap” has been changed into two separate options: “Magnet Snap” and “Snap to Notes.”

Added a header to the absolute/relative section of the “Snap to Grid” submenu of Options.

Added a “Timing” header to the Note menu.

The note pitch curve is now drawn in white instead of green.

Audio Tracker

Added support for dragging audio from Cubase.

Added snap to grid/transient settings.

Slide note selection area has been adjusted so you need to click on the actual notes to select a slide.

Moving notes with keyboard shortcuts now triggers preview.

Added selection rectangle in the regions view (Amount of Notes) for selection of notes.

Pressing backspace/delete can no longer remove a region. A remove region button was added instead.

Shift-click in Amount of Notes, Articulations and the grid view now selects all notes in between the clicked one and the latest selected.

Added grid lines to the velocity and amount views.

The audio input signal in standalone can now be seen on the audio LED in the tracker (when recording or preparing to record).

Audio waveform drawing is faster now.

Selecting with rectangle in Articulations and Amount views is faster/smoother now.

BUG FIXES

General

The attack sounds are now also included in the palm mute.

The attack sounds now also follow the selected tuning.

After loading a preset, the cent tuning was reset, although the GUI value was correct.

The main tabs were put on top of the MIDI Learn text and shadow.

If the GUI is closed while a modal dialog is shown, the faded background no longer covers the interface when the GUI is opened again.

When a moved EZbass sound library folder is located by the user at startup, the current project (the loaded project or default project) is now applied to the found sound libraries.

Improved parsing of multi-track MIDI files.

Song Track

Fixed some crashes on the song track when opening menus in certain scenarios.

Follow Host should no longer incorrectly get turned off with the claim that the same MIDI is coming from the DAW as is present on the Song Track – if such MIDI has been deleted from the DAW.

When exporting to audio, the cancel button did not work as intended when sounds were being loaded.

Dragging from the song track outside the plug-in window and back made a copy instead of just moving the dragged item(s).

Some minor adjustments/fixes to the GUI on the song track and the minimized song view.

On Mac, ctrl-click now works to open the song track context menu.

If a MIDI loop was added from the Audio Tracker, the notes would sometimes not be visible until the user did something to make the loops be redrawn, e.g. zoom.

Auto-transitions won’t be applied if there is no following chord to transition to.

Adding a MIDI block with damping after one without would sometimes add damping to the preceding block as well.

Changing bass note on a chord could make the bass note end up in the wrong octave.

Correcting a chord to a different bass note could end up moving notes instead of just correcting.

The “–” does not show up on a chord if the current notes fit into the current chord (like D notes on a D chord in C major).

Importing a MIDI file to the song track now also creates chords and a song part.

The song track tempo text editor will no longer show the tracker tempo if the tracker is the player in focus.

The “Drag groove here” text could become visible when undoing stuff on the song track.

The menu item “Add Chords to Chord Track” is now disabled if no chords can be added to the chord panel.

Changing groove in Replace MIDI mode could cause a clicking sound.

When copying or inserting a new MIDI block on the track, the copied block could get the wrong damping values if no damping values existed on the track.

Time signatures, key signature and tempos were not copied when duplicating a song track.

Transitions were removed when a loop was moved or copy/pasted on the track.

Chords in recorded MIDI were always analyzed in the key of C.

Notes on the red record block were not always visible when jumping back in the timeline while recording.

Edit Play Style

Changing Amount no longer causes a crash when a chord begins just before the end of a bar.

Adjusting Amount could lead to all CCs being duplicated on the selected MIDI blocks.

Drums & Keys Tab

Replace MIDI mode now shows the selected card in orange.

The “Replace MIDI” and “Export to Current Song Track” menu entries are now disabled in Replace MIDI mode.

The “Recent MIDI Files from Project” list in the “Select MIDI File” menu was saved in projects but not loaded correctly if the paths contained special characters.

Grooves Tab

Running a sync on the User MIDI folder could cause a crash.

The result view is now always scrolled to the top when new filters are selected.

After a search is complete, set keyboard focus on the result view so user can use keyboard arrows to navigate the results again.

Clicking/dragging/etc. in the result view while a search was in progress could cause a crash.

The “Search with Current Filters” button in Tap2Find was not enabled in “Record Melody” mode.

Grid Editor

Inserting a CC value when no MIDI is available on the song track caused a crash.

Right-click-drag in the Pitch editor no longer causes a crash.

Editing one CC curve would remove all other CC curves.

The vertical insert lines when using pen tool didn’t sync between grid and CC editor (with snap on).

Inserting CC nodes didn’t always insert them where the vertical line suggested (with snap on).

The vertical line that follows the mouse when the Split Tool is selected didn’t always show correctly where the split would happen if you’d click on a note (with snap on).

Extending a MIDI block in the grid is only done as far as necessary, not a bar extra.

On Mac, cmd-alt-click to split a note did not always work correctly.

Legato was sometimes incorrectly applied when polyphonic selections were copied.

Loading a project by double-clicking a project file and then browsing for missing libraries did not load the requested library in the project.

Audio Tracker

Fix for user-added notes sometimes disappearing.

A tempo map is now included when dragging MIDI from the tracker.

The tempo text is now updated continously.

Regions are no longer removed when recording over a previous recording.

Various graphics fixes to zooming, grid lines and numbers.

Various fixes to things not being updated when undoing.

The waveforms are now drawn on top of the supporting grid lines.

The tracker playhead and loop area now snap only to the time bar.

The play button in the tracker was enabled even though no audio input sender was connected.

The tracker insert/remove line was not drawn correctly in scales other than 100%.

The tracker grid could stay small if zoomed out and the window was resized.

The preview MIDI DnD block was not updated when loading a project or editing in the tracker grid.

Recording again in a tracker file that has sample rate other than 44100 Hz now works as intended.

Drag and drop of audio from Cubase should now work with any special characters in the file names.

Changing octave with shortcut now plays preview.

Preview note off times are now reset so that changing back to a note that was recently played does not cut off that note early.

Recording again and thereby making the audio longer did not create any notes after the original length.

The “Recent Files from Project” list in the “Select Audio File” menu was not cleared when a project was loaded, meaning it could grow very large and have duplicate entries.

Settings

Custom keyboard shortcut bindings that are displayed with non-ASCII characters (for example some language-specific characters) would not be correctly displayed after restarting EZbass. If you have such bindings from before, you can fix how they are displayed by rebinding them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not Cubase, but dragging from EZkeys still causes it to crash SO4 on win 10.  Works fine with other plugins and in MixCraft 9.

Edit: Yeah I forgot to actually do a search first, but It's a known issue.  I may have found a solution.

Edited by Topcheese
Correction

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

It's in the list above "Added support for dragging audio from Cubase." and it seems to work for me.

Thks Matthew , yep i saw the list but audio can be from differnt places in cubase ;) 

Thks , so basically audio and midi clips  working in cubase ?

Hope we can expect the same for S1 since it's the same engine 

5 hours ago, Zo said:

S1 since it's the same engine

Are you sure about that? I went to a Presonus convention and the guys that came up with S1 (the devs) was there saying they started S1 from scratch, and didn't have all the legacy code that all other DAW's had. That was something they were really on and on about. One of their big selling points.

Also wanted to point out that there was a big d/l update for EZ Keys too.

Edited by Grem
  • Thanks 1

From my understanding, S1 is made by some ex-Steinberg employees who had worked on Cubase so they probably know roughly how it works to recreate the best bits of it. However, I would doubt it's exactly the same engine.

22 minutes ago, simon said:

you're probably seeing the May update ?

Maybe so. I thought I was keeping up with that, but I could have missed it. I know I was paying attention with EZB being new and all... but ya never know!!

• Thanks 1

Inside Cubase when you drag audio from a track it doesn't drag a .wav file (like CbB or most DAWs) instead it drags a text file with a VST-XML record inside it.  That XML file has all the details of what exactly you dragged, including the path to the .WAV file, tempo, start and end times, a bunch of stuff.  The EzBass didn't support this as a valid drop source before this 1.0.5 update.  If S1 works the same way and drags audio clips from tracks like Cubase then I'd assume this new version of EzBass would work with it.

It's pretty easy to check though.  Inside the DAW have an audio track and drag the audio into the Windows Explorer.  From Cubase you get a text file (named something like DroppedText-20200628.txt) and if you open that text file you'll see something like

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<vst-xml version="1.2">
    <region id="513194800">
        <filename>E:\Music\Cubase Projects\Testing-358\Audio\Hip Hop - Drum Loop 66_80bpm.wav</filename>
        <start>0</start>
        <end>575999</end>
        <projectTime domain="quarterNotes">0</projectTime>
        <tempo>80</tempo>
        <signature>
            <numerator>4</numerator>
            <denominator>4</denominator>
        </signature>
    </region>
    <sourceApp>Cubase</sourceApp>
</vst-xml>

If S1 drag&drops audio like that, it will now work with EzBass.  If it does something else though, all bets are off.

When I did the Toontrack update that started this thread I only had updates to Latin Percussion EZX and the two parts of EzBass.  I try to run the manager at least once a week to make sure I catch things.

Studio One Pro 4 and Cubase 10.5 absolutely do not have the same audio engine.

Studio One has significantly better performance at extremely small ASIO buffer sizes.

Quick/Easy test:

Using Presonus Quantum as an audio interface, you can set the ASIO buffer size down to 32-samples (at 96k).

That results in round-trip latency of 1ms.  

Load Helix Native (with a patch using 2 Cab IRs for substantial load) into both Cubase 10.5 and Studio One Pro 4.

Play thru Helix Native and monitor the resultant audio in realtime (heavy load on the CPU).

• If you have a fast machine, Studio One Pro 4 will show heavy load... but audio will be glitch-free.
  • Cubase will struggle to keep up with the load (without glitches).
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

more importantly, how does CbB score?

I could care less about Cubase or S1. Reaper, if CbB ever fails...

FWIW, I wasn't trying to give a detailed comparison between ultra-low latency performance... just show that Cubase and Studio One weren't using the same audio engine.

IME, If running Helix Native under circumstances I mentioned above (96k using a 32-sample ASIO buffer size), Studio One out-performs CbB.

To put things into perspective:

• DP10 is one of the worst performers at ultra low latency
  • Cubase 10.5 is slightly better than DP10
  • CbB is slightly better than Cubase
  • Reaper is better than CbB

At higher ASIO buffer sizes, performance differences tend to be less dramatic.

Reaper is overall the most CPU efficient PC DAW application.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Reaper is overall the most CPU efficient PC DAW application.

Not surprising since they do not (IIRC) rely on Windows audio libraries. It's supposedly a closed eco system wrt to audio.