I'm having trouble with the modulations in the song Giant Steps

kennywtelejazz

21 hours ago, craigb said:

I posted this a while back, maybe it will help?

I want to be perfectly honest with you here Craig I'm talking about the video .....Which in my opinion leaves a lot to be desired ...so don't feel I'm attacking you .

1,  I do know how to play the Song Giant Steps . I have been playing it for years and I'm still working on it so I will be basing my opinion as a player that has worked on the tune for years not a wanna be dreamer or internet influence r

FWIW ,this thread was a mock /copy thread title based on some of  the Coffee House threads that had titles like " I'm having trouble with the Mods ....Fill in the blank "

Even taking those details into account  I can understand why people may have thought I was looking for help...

My truth is.... Hey if someone can teach me something I want to learn I'm teachable and I can be all ears .

In that G S video they give a nice little history about the tune and dance around the history lesson  BS about the circle of 5 ths , ll V l 's and the songs origins . Yet nowhere in that video do they take the time to show you how to play over the  songs  complex  chord changes , or show me the viewer  what sounds hip on my  instrument and compare that that to what don't sound hip....

My book  is a real simple read  "either I can or I can't " I am 100 % merit based and that happens to be how I judge the people I play with ...

The way things are now where this much less money in music makes me feel more strongly about that .But hey I wont Lie if someone wants to pay me good money ...I can lower my standards ....lol

A person can watch that video 10 times right  before they  walk out on a stage to do a gig and they  will still be none the wiser on how to Play Giant Steps ....

I will say the  video makes a nice little history lesson yet It is what I consider empty calories in the sense that it does not teach anyone  how to play their instrument over the song Giant Steps ......

Since  nobody in the video even played the tune on their instruments  ...to me that became  a very big red flag ..

IMHO the only way to play Giant Steps is to work on it and practice playing it until you can get good at playing over it ....

That is only if it is important to the person that wants to play the tune ...not everybody could give 2 $hits about the tune  "Only The Old School  Die Hards seem to care  "   about the tune .

Once one  reaches a point of fluidity  and a modest form of self expression playing  GS   , then that's the time to  practice it some more because all the talk in the world ain't gonna get it done ....

Interestingly enough I used to talk with  John Pisano every so often when I went out to hear him play ....

I asked him what he thought about Giant Steps and he told me why bother going there when  Have You Met Ms Jones (he felt )was a hipper tune to play .. Most people don't know  Have You Met Ms Jones  has the same exact chord changes to the  GS bridge  section  ..it is .one half step down  key wise ...

That tune came out in 1937  a number of years  before Giant Steps (1960  ) and unlike GS people in clubs never seem to get tired of hearing it played  ...maybe because it swings  and the first section is an easy listen ...who knows why ?just thinking out loud

Anyway ..Peace

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 6:31 PM, 57Gregy said:

No minors allowed.

6 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

You ain't ever seen a blank sheet of Banjo Tab Before ?

The clue was in Bapu's first post......

Pretty Vacant.

Luckily I never took my coat off.

9 hours ago, paulo said:

The clue was in Bapu's first post......

Pretty Vacant.

Luckily I never took my coat off.

Pretty Vacant ! is that the name of your new secret musical project ? Rumor has it you and Bapu joined forces and came up with a modern weaponized  musical form of music   based on tried and true  historical instruments .. I heard it's you on the banjo and Bapu on the  Bagpipes . I have been told , no matter where you guys have set up and started to play the crowd soon disappears and  the area becomes Pretty Vacant.

Is there any chance you guys could give us "The Bro Price " so we could afford to have you come up here and do a concert ? Craig and I are getting pretty tired of all the  noise and destruction of property the protesters are doing  up here in our town .The musical results you guys could deliver would be a welcome change to what has been going on up here recently   ......

Pretty Vacant ...aaahh yes , come to think of it ,  that has a nice ring to it .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

16 hours ago, Bapu said:

Bapu done did knot ink snore ewe paulo. I was just drawing a blank.

In that case may I say that you drew it very well. In future when I need to draw a blank, I'm going to copy yours.

• Thanks 1