Where do we report software bugs?

Daniel Vrangsinn

Allright. But I don't believe I am having technical issues. I believe the Cakewalk code is having issues

Problem: Time/stretch tool

I have experienced this problem in two different projects. I will only detailed explain one of them since the error is the same in both

- A bass track. The bass is out of time here and there, so I just stretch it until it fits. I split the take up into many parts and then stretch as needed

- Then to save proccessing power after everything is perfect, I select "bounce to clips" Every single time I do this, Cakewalk just crashes. Boom - gone. 

- I try to freeze the track instead - Same problem. Cakewalk crashes completely. 

- I bounce part by part of the bass track until I find the tiny little part causing this issue, a take no more than a few seconds long. Every single time I try to bounce this tiny clip, cakewalk just dies. 

- I re-stretch it a little bit and try again - problem solved. 

It is quite annoying because I need to spend a lot of time figuring out which of the hundreds of tiny clips is causing this to happen. The positive thing is that it is motivating me to just record a better take instead of fixing the out of time ones. Just like in the old days. I don't use the time/stretch tool more than I have to now because I simply don't have the time to sit for hours figuring out which of the clips are causing the error. 

Thanks for listening folks :)

• Thanks 1

If there are dmp files associated with the crashes, they should be in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps

Zip up one or two and send to support with a description of the problem, include CbB version, OS and PC hardware details. Crashes are a support issue. They are a "technical problem." Examples of things that are not technical issues and not support issues are "how do I record audio" and "what is MIDI."

The problem may be related to the offline render algorithm selected in preferences.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately the same thing happened to me. I don't know if I chanmged anything in options but next day Cakewalk started to crash everytime I wanted to render some files. I have to do "fresh" projects and drag everything there, beecause when I use some old projects to paste it into that - the same thing happens. I've tried to change  redred methods (although there was no time stretched clips in these projects), I've looked into MiniDumps - nothing helped. It crasher everytime I want to start rendering. File format doesn't matter. It looks like projects from the past (3 days ago) has some old setting that cannot be proceeded now :/

Edited by Bartosz Gajdarski
Adding info.

In addition to the minidump you might also send (or make available) the project file and wave files that have the problem.  You want to give any developer enough material to be able to reproduce the crash 100% of the time.  Stripping out/down everything if you can. 

So for example if you make a new blank project, import a single wave file, stretch it and then bounce and it crashes, having that project (with the stretch) and the wave file (saved before the bounce) should mean they could just load it up and reproduce the crash.

Actually I can't find any minidumps connected with that and doing the new project from scratch works fine. This is a real tragedy to me. All previous projects I would like to come back to need moving it track by track and setting after setting to the new one...

WOw, pretty clever idea I had no idea about, but this doesn't copy any settings. Clip copying is much faster though! Now how to do this with all VSTs, settings etc... I am opening two internal windows and I am moving VSTs with CTRL to the new window, but as we know ProChannel must be set manually. Your method also doesn't copy any envelopes :( CTRL+C and CTRL+V between projects does that fortunately...

Yeah, there was a discussion about this a few weeks ago.

An other option is:

1. Hold SHIFT whilst loading the old project, which will load it in safe mode to avoid any crashes on load
2. Select ALL the tracks, and save as a track template. This will preserve your VST's & ProChannel settings.
3. On the new project, import the track template
4. CTRL+C / CTRL+V your old tracks onto the new tracks

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Oooh la la nice... Thanks. 

Oh, and there's an information for programmers that even if there's no stretched clips in the project, it crashes in the moment when it starts to render a file. Maybe there were stretches in the past within these projects, but these clips were removed so maybe looking into stretching method (which I believe have changed recently) is right. Of course reverting to the previous stretch method causes crashes too, so something strange happened inbetween.

33 minutes ago, Bartosz Gajdarski said:

Oooh la la nice... Thanks. 

Oh, and there's an information for programmers that even if there's no stretched clips in the project, it crashes in the moment when it starts to render a file. Maybe there were stretches in the past within these projects, but these clips were removed so maybe looking into stretching method (which I believe have changed recently) is right. Of course reverting to the previous stretch method causes crashes too, so something strange happened inbetween.

Does this happen even after importing into a new project?

It sounds to me like something else is "touching" the files whilst you're using them.

I had exactly this issue with Microsoft OneDrive, but any cloud sync service (OneDrive, Mega etc), as well as virus scanners could cause Cakewalk to crash if it's accessing files that Cakewalk is using.

Make sure you have explicitly excluded both your Projects folder and your Global Audio Folder from any of these sorts of programs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

This gave me a few answers, or at least thoughts on how to manage CW.  Mine is working fine except when I move to the Console View then I seem to have problems but it is mainly when my tracks are beyond the ONE VIEW I have over all of TWO MONITORS.  CW seems a bit confused and does not operate correctly until I move all my tracks of one song into a SINGLE MONITOR View.  Then the mouse loses position in the region of any particular tracks so that I can no longer edit or change anything until I move everything into one window, by  narrowing all strips and putting everything into One window.  Then my problems seem to go away.  All my files are too big to post here.  Sorry...

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I am a cakewalk enthousiast since it came out  for ms-dos. But this bug was new to me: When I try to line up 2  adjacent audiotracks by zooming in on the waveformdisplay to maximum and now press play, the playback continues normally, but nothing reacts anymore, until I shut it off in windows task manager. Maybe somebody recognizes this? Thanks,

Han