Question about guitar effects

Pablo

Hello everybody, first time poster here. I have a question regarding the th3 guitar effects in cakewalk. Is it possible to have x amount of effects so that they are selected one after the other? Let's say I wanna have a clean tone and then some distortion when recording, is it possible to do it automatically, or must it be done by hand? It would be something like this:

Start with clean tone, then 40 seconds into the recording switch to a distorted effect, then some time afterwards switch again and so on.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Pablo

Rather than hunt down the name of an automation parameter in the menu it may be easier to

• write enable automation for the track
  • start the transport
  • operate the feature such as clicking the switch on a stomp box in TH3 or turning a knob

This will create the envelope. If the automation lanes are not open when this is done a lane will automatically be added for the envelope. If the lanes are open, click the + on the lanes to add a new lane (or use the existing lane to reassign it) and navigate the menu to the plug-in. The parameter just automated will be at the top of the plug-in's parameters.

• Like 1

You can even take this one step further as anything you can do with a mouse or keyboard can be also done with a USB footswitch.  There are a few models with some as low as $30 from amazon. I bought the Stealth footswitch and it definatly the best quality. The cheap ones work fine but the stealth seems bullet proof. 

USB footswitches can be quickly programed with any mouse clicks or keystrokes. You can save them etc.  Certainly a boon for guitar player keepping both hands on your guitar. I couldn't live without this for live gigs. 

ss3.jpg.14c579a09eb1f859cec76d69c421840f.jpg

https://stealthswitch.com/applications/stealthswitch3/   

Picture above ..You will need up to 5 footpedals which it's best to get from them as they use 1/8" jacks not the standard 1/4" I have the Stealth set up to control playback of Win Amp,, But I could also re program it to run TH 3. 

61hSJKalFKL._SL1024_.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/iKKEGOL-Control-Customized-keyboard-Multimedia/dp/B07553KW32/ref=sr_1_7/132-8856595-9537311?ie=UTF8&qid=1545682642&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+foot+switch

Picture above. This is the one I use for Power point, It comes with good software and so far has lasted 2 years. A bit large. I got mine for $29 on sale. 

61zl+T5xD6L._SL1024_.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/iKKEGOL-Mechanical-Control-Action-Keyboard/dp/B01M998H36/ref=sr_1_8/132-8856595-9537311?ie=UTF8&qid=1545682642&sr=8-8&keywords=usb+foot+switch

Picture above This one I use to control Cakewalk, Not very good software, had to load it using W7 but they all remember what has been programed into a static memory chip.  An now one of the pedals is not always responding. Would not recomend.  I have programed it with the R. Spacebar and W keys for footcontrol of Cakewalk.  I have lost the W for now. 

Just do a search for USB Footswitches 

Edited by Cactus Music

Program changes are another possibility, but I’ve yet to find a VST3 amp sim that recognizes MIDI Program Changes. But program changes are less relevant in the studio anyway: send your guitar to multiple tracks or buses, each with an instance of an amp sim set for a particular sound, and use automation to mute tracks or buses you don’t want to hear. This works for recording or mixing. It might not be as much fun as stomping on a switch, but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience has been that program changes with TH3 only work with VST2 plugin, not VST3 plugin.  

The email below is from Overloud on 8/29/16 in which they acknowledge this problem.  I just retested and still have the same problem with the VST3 plugin even though I'm on the most recent full version of TH3 (3.4.9) and CBB.  Of course, I wish this would get resolved.  And another problem is where you can record an automation lane successfully, but when you close and reopen the project, the automation disappears.  This also was acknowledged by Overloud but they felt the problem was with Sonar at the time and was supposed to report a bug to Cakewalk.  I would imagine this is lost in the shuffle in the meantime.  I'm continuing to use the VST2 plugin since it's mostly working and you can get around automation problem by assigning Midi controllers in conjuction with Midi Learn using a Midi track.

Overloud email 8/29/16:

there is absolutely no difference in functionality between TH3 VST2 and VST3 (aside, of course, of this issue regarding MIDI which is obviously not intended). 

The current state of TH3 VST3 as of version 3.2.2 is that it supports CCs and Note messages, but still not Program Changes. 

It may sound funny somehow, but the VST3 specification does not include "out-of-the-box" support for Program Change messages, replaced by a much more convoluted abstraction (which no one really uses in its full capability). 

The result is that the old "Program Change" functionality has to be "emulated" instead, in some way or another. At the moment we're deciding which way it is best to design this emulation.

The good news is that the VST2 is still fully functional with all its MIDI capability, so if you wish to update from the special 3.2.0 that we have sent, you can do so updating with the latest 3.2.2 and then remove the VST3 plug-in from your system (or choosing not to install it right from the installer).

Works fine for me. I use my FCB1010 with TH3. But TH3 can't be in the Pro Channel for some reason. It has to be in the FX Bin.

I can change patches or enable and disable pedals. Use expression. Start and stop the looper etc. All with my feet.

Edited by Gswitz

• 4 weeks later...